Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Diff Axle stub removal-Socket? Q, Zap, Corky?

Hi guys. Working on swapping 3.7lsd/3.9-

Looks like 1st order of business is to get the stubs off- I have an external torx e-12 but shes too fat to squeeze inside the stub- What socket/where'd ya get it to unscrew these boogers? Looks like a 9mm 1/4 drive deep might work (if my garage was clean enough to find one arrrrgggg) 5/32 just doesn't grip..

Actually you need an E10 socket I believe. I think Zap has one. You should get the deep one. Generally it is used for air bag repair and replacement. I got mine directly from Snap-on truck. You should be able to order on-line if you don't have access to a truck.

Get it from Snap-on. You can find cheaper but most are beveled in shape and won't fit down the hole. E-10 female torx socket. With the socket you will need a small extension for 1/4 drive. I tried to use this and stripped the heck out of the heads. Well, one stripped and the other sheared off. Q-man cleaned up the resulting mess. I am hesitant to try again.

Jay

thanks guys. Me and Zap dug through his stuff, no dice.

FYI Sears is a no go as suggested by some (they do suprise me once in a while what they do have) also,

the "E" probably stands for external (female sockets) regular male star bits seem to be refered to as "T"-number/size

Ken if you see Zap and can spare yours for the job it would be great

hey Eric do you know how many shims go on each side of the LSD housing? I know its split like 3 on one side and 2 on the other but I am not sure which side gets which amount. Maybe I'll just throw it together and see if I get allot of noise, if I do then I'll switch'm....:banghead:

Drill out holes??? Huh?

I'm around this afternoon if you wanna call me after work to help with completion.

EJ. I really can't recall how many on each side. As I was taking it apart and reassembling it, I kept all the left stuff together and all the right side stuff together so I wouldn't space any parts. My memory is too bad to try to keep track of all those similar looking parts.

EZ

Does anyone know what year and what model diffs don't need any drilling. I have an 82 Hatch?

I'm wondering if one year is easier than another year to swap.

Thanks,

Glenn

82 Hatch, transforming.........:temper:

01 Forester, jealous............:madder:

Well I can tell you that my open diff came from a '87 Hatchback and the LSD came from a '85 or '86 RX 4 door. That combination resulted in me having to float a reamer through to open the holes up. No big deal, it's soft steel and easy to keep the holes on location.

On the money Mike. I.D. on the LSD thru holes to ring gear were like 10mm per el cheapo dial caliper.. thread width on the bolts to be used from the 3.9 were 10.5/11?? Wierd.

Mr Qman mentions this in the USRM article. BTW, nice feature!

Zap, I'm thinking I owe you a fresh drill bit (from your helicoil pack)... It was just the right size at the moment of need and Mr Svengouli had just a few too many to cruise out for one :drunk:

Per the USRM article,

" Make sure that you use the side caps that match the ring gear.

Very important as this will maintain your gear mesh.

If it isn't the right set you run the risk of getting noise and mismatch"

Sounds like you only need the #/shim placement of your 3.9 EJ, don't need to remember the set up for the 3.7

Zap, Im about to grind swing by if'n your sttin around