Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Hornet LIVES!

After a few days off, I finally finished the final connections to the Hornet. I spun the oil pump with a drill to prime the system, installed timing belts, and made sure everything was hooked up.

The engine runs nice! It's idling really smooth now.

The only problem is that my oil pressure sender isn't working anymore. I know I have oil flow in the system, so I'm going to try another sender from a wreck. If that doesn't work, I also have a mechanical oil pressure gauge that I could install.

Well, I got everything back on, topped up all the fluids, and took it for a spin. It runs well, but I'm going to have to adjust the carb a little bit, and maybe re-do some of the vacuum lines. It doesn't seem like the choke is working when it's cold.

I'm going to drive it as much as I can today, hoping that the oil will all burn off the exhaust. I might pull the transmission pan off and re-seal it tonight. I think that's the next biggest leak.

Anyways, it goes back for re-inspection tomorrow. Hopefully it passes this time, I'm getting sick of the high gas prices with my 1/2 ton.