Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sound system?

as for the deck, there is a mounting kit made by metra that will fit, the part number is 99-8900 there is one by scosche that is like the same thing, its part number is su2020B

10991000_0001-med.JPG

thats the one i used, im not sure on speaker size, but i would guess like 5 1/4 in front and 6 1/2 in back, not sure though but.... hope this helps

I've mounted 6 1/2" speakers in the front doors of all my Roos. It requires removing the plastic adapter that the factory speaker mounts to, and they go right in. Gotta line the holes up just right though, only one of the sets of holes on the speaker will match up.

The car uses a common ground type system, so if you want to hook up all 4 speakers, you'll need to run new wiring to two of them.

If your local car audio place gives you a :confused: about the dash adapter plate, tell them it's for a 90 Loyale, that'll be exactly what you need.

I'm assuming your car is this body type:

Picture050.jpg

If your car is the other style hatch, with either two round or four square headlights, everything said in this thread doesn't apply to you.

FYI, we call the type of car in the picture a "coupe" or a "3 door" instead of a hatchback. The hatchback is a different body style. That'll help you out a bit with whatever your next question is. ;)

About the head unit mounting problem on ea81 style cars (would apply to any): i'm in the process of modifying a headunit so that it has a remote face plate. The faceplate and the bit it clips on to are mounted on the standard position on the console, while the main bit of it will sit under the seat (probably). They are connected by a 15 core comm. wire, which is soldered on to the board where the faceplate connector was soldered. This way, i am able to attach the original connector to the faceplate mount, so i can still remove the faceplate easily.

Only disadvantage is if you have a head unit that only plays single cds - it makes it a bit difficult to change cd. I'm using a cd changer to get around that on this HU, but my better WMA playing head unit will go in in the same fashion some time soon.

Just another solution to think about if you don't like the look of those sticky outy things.