Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Impreza Oil Leaks w/ pics

Here goes:

I posted a bit ago about some problems with my newly required 1995 1.8L Impreza wagon with 140K miles.

Needs:

Center pipe - not finding cheap source - please suggest ($200 at dealer)

Rear Brakes (rotors and pads) - found for $60 total (http://www.all-foreign.com/)

Numerous oil leaks need attention

Oil Leaks details:

Previous poster suggested that the oil filler gasket leaks are common - yup, this is true for this vehicle.

Valve conver gasket appears to be leaking a bit - I will replace this along with rubber washers per previous posts. Anyone tell me the valve cover gasket torque? Should I purchase these from the dealer or elsewhere?

More leaks:

There appears to be a significant leak on the back of the engine (fire wall side) on the passenger side at the level of the valve cover gasket. See pics. The first pic shows the layout of the engine and the general location of the leak. the Second pic shows some kind of thing that looks like a filter - there is a leak just below that which seems to be producing the biggest problem (i.e., SMOKE when driving). Sorry the pictures to not show the exact location of the leak!

Can anyone fill me in on what part of the I am looking at? What could be the issue in this area? THANKS!

post-831-136027585107_thumb.jpg

Looks like the "fresh air" pipe that runs from the clean side of the air filter to ventilate the crankcase via the valve cover.

PCV valve should be in the intake "plenum" just after the throttle body, and will surely need replacing in conjunction with a swap of valve cover gaskets and bolt gaskets. Check all the PCV pipes for blockage and cracks. Replace as necessary. Also replace the oil filler pipe gasket and the seal on the dipstick if you can get it. PCV works best that way.

The bolts on my EJ22 stop long before there is a chance to over-torque them, the thread wont allow it. Cool, eh?

:D

There is a rear camshaft O-ring in this location. Mine was leaking and needed to be replaced. It appeared to spill oil onto the lower engine crossmember, and with some good cleaning of the area you should be able to figure it out. I suppose in your case it could be leaking onto the exhaust manifold and causing the smoke. There is a cover over the O-ring, and there should only be two bolts holding it on.

Hope this helps.