Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo pipes on SPFI

I'll take that!

What alls involved? Do you have a pic of the pipe, I'm trying to envision how this works. I haven't spent much time around Turbo cars.

I'd be tempted to fabricate it from scratch. Take 1 3/4" pipe, and custom weld pipes/mufflers that went out around the sides and up -- sort of like the stacks the big rigs had. If you have a madrel bender (or you can cut pie slices out of the pipe and weld together to make curves) this wouldn't be too hard. Get rid of that whole exhaust system down below -- always banging it on rocks while following jeeps. Wouldn't fly over here where we have emissions testing, but I bet it would in G.J.

Is there a reason you don't have your car set up this way?

I have the manifold as described but Archemitis keeps telling me he's gonna turbo one of his engines so it hasnt been used yet!

I've had it in my hand and sat under my engine looking at it. Thats why I seemed to remeber the studs having to be switched around. I didnt actually bolt it on so clearance at the main crossmember MIGHT be an issue if you dont have a turbo x-member. Won't really know till you cut it off, bolt it on, and see how much room there is.

The only draw back I can see right now is 1) clearance at the main crossmember or 2) how scavanging will work and therefore performance of the pipe. It will run but will it be worse or better? Dunno!

You're kidding, right?

He doesn't need the up pipe. All he needs is the manifold and just cut it off right before it turns upward.

Well, that is one way, and no I wasn't kidding, I wanted to make sure that he knew what he was getting. I don't really know what he thinks he is saving by doing this, it would probably be better to fabricate a custom exhaust system, or get bigger tires so he won't be as likely to crush the 'Y' pipes.

I don't really know what he thinks he is saving by doing this,

Turbo pipes are protected by the skidplate. Regular Y-pipes hang down in front of it. Tire size won't change that.

I'm pretty sure shadyirishman has turbo pipes with a Weber on his EA82, and a few others but I'm can't remember who...

I didn't read any of this thread, so I hope I am not repeating anything. The turbo pipe is sweat because only one of the exhaust outlets from your engine is exposed and the other one is tucked up by your oil pan. the only way you can run one is by bypassing the turbo outlet by welding it shut. The combination works well with a weber carb but is not as fluid as a custom built oversized pipe. I this information made sense.... back to work.

It works to use the turbo exhaust. Gunslinger did it. But he noticed a loss in power from it. We felt that the smaller pipe inside of the turbo exhaust was too restrictive. That is just my/our opinion. I personaly would go through the pain of fabing one from scratch with the proper size tubing. If can fab the parts in place of the turbo you can probably do the whole thing on your own. I have the turbo exhaust sitting in my garage but I would rather make it from scratch and have larger pipes. Just my thoughts.

So, since the turbo is part of this exhaust system, how do you plan to bypass the turbo?

wut? thats reely funny

morganm your exhuast studs are set up for ea81 exhaust, with the breather spacers, thats why the turbo pipe is opposite compared to yours.

it bolts onto any ea82 with no mods, on the ea81 cars, they need a different x member so the xover pipe clears. not sure about the ea82 cars, but some have just modified thier original xmembers to make room.

the only downfall i see is that its a poor colector design, its not so good for turbos, and even worse for an na exhaust. but im sure its better than a stock ypipe with the cat still in there.

no 02 sensor hole either, but subaru efi dont seem to care

do it! i second the tractor flapper idea

It works to use the turbo exhaust. Gunslinger did it. But he noticed a loss in power from it. We felt that the smaller pipe inside of the turbo exhaust was too restrictive. That is just my/our opinion. I personaly would go through the pain of fabing one from scratch with the proper size tubing. If can fab the parts in place of the turbo you can probably do the whole thing on your own. I have the turbo exhaust sitting in my garage but I would rather make it from scratch and have larger pipes. Just my thoughts.

building that kind of exhaust takes alot of equipment, or lots of mandrel bent pipes that you have to weld together.

expensive, and hard to get them lined up just right.

i have the turbo exhaust setup on the battlewagon.there are a couple issues at hand.

1)you need a turbo crossmember or make the cutout on your own. the pipe wont fit through the space between the axle and the crossmember. i cut the crossmember and welded in a new section for support myself. i was too lazy to get the turbo member cause you have to change out the PS lines with the member. bleeding PS systems suck.

2)you need the turbo PS hard lines under the motor if you have PS. the nonturbo's will hit the pipe

3)you have to pull out the nonturbo header studs and use the other 2 holes. morganM is correct on that.

4) i cut all the insulation/skid material off to get some solid material to weld to including the flange that bolts to the turbo. you then need to put a flange in the engine compartment so that your exhaust can come out in 2 pieces instead of never being able to come out of the car.

5)weld a new O2 bung for the O2 sensor (if you need one) i have SPFI

6)you need to weld new pipe in going from over the member down to the existing exhaust. schucks or whatnot has 90* bends and such you can use for this.

all in all, awesome mod. NEVER HITS ROCKS. skid plate covers the whole thing. problems - i believe the pipe is too small. i feel i lost a LITTLE power. cant be too sure but i think so. im going to tear the whole system off and run the exhaust above the transmission and driveline once im done lifting the battlewagon. there's plenty of clearance there for it and it'll NEAVER hit rocks there. so what if it's louder...... ANYONE THAT WANTS TO BUY THE COMPLETED SYSTEM FROM ME ONCE I TAKE IT OFF IS MORE THAN WELCOME. ILL LET YOU ALL KNOW ONCE I GET IT OFF. ill take some pics of the header setup tomorrow and post them since im not near the car right now.