Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rotated the tires... now the car shakes!

syphon

So last night I rotated my tires. Right Rear switched with Left Front and then LR switched RF. Anyone who saw my tires at Evans Creek will know my front tires were bald as hell.

Now... the car has a pretty serious shake. It used to shake on the freeway before, but now it's gotten slightly worse. Instead of a death-rattle at 75, it shakes at any speed above 50 (and most speeds below 50).

I've checked the air pressure in the tires, is there anything else anyone can think of?

PS. Another issue, most likely unrelated...

The tread on my front tires had very uneven wear. The outside of the tread was bald as can be, but the tread on the very inside was still good. Any ideas?

Well your shake problem is most likely an unbalance tire or maybe a bent wheel. You might try loosening the lug nuts and then tightening them to 70ft-lbs sometimes, uneven torque on the lug nuts will cause some wheel shake.

As for your rotation, you should rotate LF to LR and RF to RR with radial tires. If you have directional tires, it's a must.

The tire wear that you mention is pretty common with EA81s, hard cornering will increase the rate of outside wear.

• 1 year later...

my check mark goes beside

a broken belt in one of the front tires

if you are serious about fixing this

jack each wheel off the ground

spin it and watch for irregularities

I am also behind Craig in his Lf - > Lr

I believe your method went out with bias ply tyres but I'm

brain dead so please pay no attention

Its usually and supposed to be free, but it helps to bring a good looking girl, its always free then, but its hit or miss if you show up alone. I'm assuming this is on the Turbo? because i don't know what other cars you have. the wear is obviously from where the tires were and not where they are now. the imbalance will be magnified on the front as compared with the back. if this is the legacy, it could be the new wrx struts you put in, they could be affecting your camber and caster, and toe even.

Had a similar problem last year - thought I had a ball joint or something going - took the car in to get it checked out and they found out one wheel was bent - slightly - but enough that it couldnt be balanced properly. Thank goodness for parts cars, traded out that wheel and problem solved!

Holy Cow people! This thread is ancient! Check the dates of the first few posts...

Rotated tires... car shook like mad. Bought new tires, car still shook, but was acceptable (hey, it was an old car).

Sold car, bought newer car, have been driving that car for about a year now.

In fact, the car this thread was written over has been wrecked for almost a year now (by the people I sold it to).

I think that I was confused as to why the car would shake AFTER rotating the tires when it wasnt so bad before. It didn't make sense that the tires were out of balance since they rode semi-ok before the rotation.

In Retrospect, they MIGHT have been directional tires (but I doubt it) and I swapped them on backwards. Oh well, like I said, the car has long since been fixed, sold, then wrecked :)