Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Smoke from Fusable Link Box?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 23 September 2003 - 01:49 PM

Well I wired up my dual electric fans on this legacy radiator I'm running in my '88 GL wagon. And I started the car for just like 2 seconds, literaly. I turned her over, she started, plopped twice and I turned it off. THen I saw the smoke! I traced it quickly to the coil / fusable link area. Then I opend the lid to the fusable link box and smoke came out from under the lid! None of them looked toasted but they could be burnt up inside. Noticed no other electrical damage.

What circut do these links protect? What did I mess up? Only thing I've done to the ignition system is throw in an Accell Super Stock coil I had laying around... could it be too powerful? Only other electrical mod I've done is the dual fans and thats all wired seperatly from other systems. Directly off the battery to my relay, switch and fans.

Ideas? Thx :)

Oh another note. None of this happens with the ignition on and running the fans. It only happend when I actually started the car. Ive since turned on the power and played with my fans with no smoke action.

#2 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 23 September 2003 - 02:02 PM

maybe your coil is wired backwards
or one of the wires in the wrong place
iether way, a power sounds like its getting grounded

#3 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:23 PM

Herm last time I wired up my coil backwards this didnt happen. I'll check it for sure however.

#4 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,905 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 24 September 2003 - 12:10 AM

man you let the magic smoke out. Now it won't work. Sounds like you have a power wire gettin grounded. Look around the starter cable to see if somehow it was moved in suck a way that its being grounded on the case.

#5 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 24 September 2003 - 10:30 AM

The coil is wired up fine (yellow and blue on + and black and white on - )

Ill check the starter main + lead there caboobaroo. I just put in another starter so thats a possibility.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users