Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The saga continues--the return

My blue brat which gave up the ghost about 120 miles east of Bozeman, MT is finally heading home. Thanks to tailgatewagon for keeping it safe all this time and palouse rider for getting it to the Spokane area. Hopefully, I'll have it back here before the end of the month.

People in Montana/Idaho/Eastern WA. seem to be pretty cool like that. I managed to get my Grampa's hammer back, it had to pass thru 3 board members' hands though. lol

Poor little Brat, at least you can rest a little easier knowing you weren't behind the wheel when it passed. hehe

Thanks for the offer Matt. I am already pepared with an engine; Corky and I pulled a hydraulic engine out of an '87 Hatch with 129K on it from the local PAP. That should do me quite well until we repair the "hot" engine.

Ed, good luck with the refurbish. If you can't find the parts you need at the local PAP, let me know. I have (most of) and extra Brat engine I can scab for you.

• 2 weeks later...

The Brat is home. Long day...up at 5am, on the road at 6. Side trip to bratsrus1 to deliver the "hulk" Brat in Yakima and then off to Spokane and pick up the Brat at the home of palouse rider. Finally made it home by 8pm. Thinking of what needs to be done to get the car back on the road. Thanks to my neighbor for driving me out and back with his tow rig. Only $210 total for gas round trip!

• 2 weeks later...

The sad news is that the engine is indeed toast (sort of expected that)...drained the oil and it's choclate milk shake color. It'll be fixed; next weekend the temporary replacement engine is going in; hopefully I have better luck with that one.

• 1 month later...

I spoke too soon. The foaming that I saw in the coolent wasn't due to excessive oil but likely residue in the heater box and existing hoses from the original failed engine. The brat is running okay now! I put the radiator cap on it and started it up and let it warm up. As soon as the temp guage was about a 1/4 I took it over to my neighbor's place. He does auto repair in his front yard and we talked a bit. I was watching the brat and the smoke out the exhaust pipe went away after a bit and the fan came on and 20 seconds later switched off; the temp guage was at 1/2 and stayed there. My friend went to his tool case and got a laser temp guage and we measured the temp of the heads at all four cylinders. All of them were at 200 degrees plus or minus about 5 degrees. The back side of the radiator was at 208 degrees. I brought the brat home and loosened up the throttle cable and got the idle back to normal at 800 rpm. The wicked lifter clatter was also gone; actually sounds like a normal engine. A wicked clean up job is all that I have left to do.