Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air Control Valve Code 24 CEL

I just got the 91 loyale 4WD with SPFI. I ordered the repair manual but it wo'nt get to me until next week. The engine check light is on and it is showing code 24 air control valve or circuit.

The idle is about 1200 RPM and I can not make it go down to 700 RPM even I turn the idle screw all the way counter clockwise.

How do you test the air control valve motor to see if it is good?

How do I know if the air control valve motor is getting power??? I have a digital multi-meter.

Thanks a lot!!!

Sorry, I don't have the factory repair manual, but according to my Haynes, Chapter 4B, Section 6, paragraph 12 - 16, you should do the following:

12. With engine idling, disconnect the elec. connector from the air control valve and confirm a change in rpm. If the ile is not affected, check for voltage to the air control valve. Note: The engine rpm will vary greatly when the air control valve is disconnected with the engine cold.

13. Disconnect the electrical connector from the air control valve and turn the ignition swithc ON (engine not running).

14. Install the voltmeter positive probe (+) to the BW terminal. There should be 10 volts or more available.

15. Disconnect the air control valve electrical connector and measure the resistance working on the air control valve side of the harness connector. It should be 7 to 13 ohms.

16. Measure the insulation resistance of the air control valve. Install the positive probe of the ohmmeter onto each terminal with the negative probe touching the body control valve. It should be 1M ohms or greater. If continuity exists, then the internal coils are shorted to the air control valve body.

And for Replacement:

17. Detach the cable from the negative terminal of the battery and disconnect the electrical connector from the air control valve.

18. Remove the two mounting bolts and detach the air control valve

19. Installation is the reverse of removal.