Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought SVX, didn't make a sound, now it whirs.

I just purchased a 1992 SVX with 108k on it, and I put it thru its paces before I got it...sounded great, something rattles underneith but I haven't found it yet... not a heat shield.. but sounds like one...but it sounded really sweet...ANYWAYS, now... 100 miles down the road of EASY wear, I haven't been horsing this thing, nothing over 70....It started making this loud whirring noise around 60 mph. I so far have ridden it around 300 miles since then and it only does it when I get around 60(and everything above that speed). Doing some trouble shooting this is what I got:

if I push it to 60 or above, and put it in neutral, it ALWAYS stops.

push it to 60 or above while in third gear, it still does it, same pitch & volume

SOMETIMES, if it starts doing it, I can make it stop for either a few seconds, or for a few minutes by punching the gas a second(not enough to make it change gears).

If it starts doing it, sometimes it stops when I just let off the gas a second, other times it keeps going all the way down to around 40 mph before it stops.

Sometimes I can go around at 65-70 without it making a single noise for 3 or 4 miles and THEN it starts and down to 40 I go, it stops, and I'm stuck at 55 so it won't make noise.

This is a SVX turbo 92.

Any suggestions? (hoping for something cheap..)

OH YEA! I dont know if its coincodence or NOT, but I ran it around 75 miles with no problem( at those speeds), and at 100 miles I got new tires on the front... I find out the ones that were on it were not original sized, and were these low low low profile ones. I got the ones set by the owners manual on the front, and since that day it has made noise above 55... so, it MIGHT be a coincodence..but you tell me.

Thanks! James

1/4 " difference in circumfrence or about .8mm in radius.

Check you user manual, there should be a fuse you can put in place under the hood to temporarily disable the AWD. Try that and see if it continues to make the noise.

If the noise stops with the fuse in place, get matching tires all around.

Even if they are the same "size" on front and rear, different models are slightly different size, or the same model with less than 1mm treadwear difference could cause problems.

The two pairs of tires DEFINANTLY change sizes far beyond what you were mentioning, Tomorrow I get another pair to match the front. I'll see if the noise still happends tomorrow night.

And just a word of thanks...I'm 17, bought myself this car even though I KNEW I don't know a thing about these non-domestic cars, and this is an expensive car to fix when things go, plus the fact that its rare so no one knows how to work on it(I also knew that it was a very safe reliable and high quality car). Its web boards like this one that helped me learn how to work on my antique honda cl175 and get it going. And once again a web board comes to my paniced call and keeps me from toasting my first real car(rusted out 89 ford tempo does not count), before the year is out.

More in the slang of todays society.... YOU GUYS ROCK.

then again, when I come back tomorrow evening, to say you lousy fools were wrong, and it wasn't the tires....well, we'll see....;)

Turbo SVX?

Wow! Do tell, since that car was not imported to the USA and I still have yet to see proof of it being made at all.

All 4 gotta match is probably the problem. Whether or not the installation of 2 that match is going to solve it is another question, as you might have already done damage.

put the fuse in it this morning...unfortunately my father rode my arse all the way to town, and I couldn't very well try and see what it did at 60 when the road is a 40 mph speed limit, and I don't want him to know I'm having trouble with the car he didnt want me to get anyways so I couldn't explain WHY I would be speeding... :D But its in town for the day to get new tires on the back, and to tighten something...WHATEVER is rattling thats making my zippy little car sound like a junker :D

And I live in Colebrook NH, WAAAAAY up north of ya ursulia, right next to the canadian border but I'll keep you in mind for future things.

And it HAD 4 smaller lower profile tires on it, and I replaced the front two with the 'normal' sized ones, and was replacing the back two with normal ones today. its run around 280 miles with the different pairs of tires, and for the most part I have been running it under 60 to make sure it didnt do that whirring noise to often....Think I have perm damage?

I'll find out tonight when i take it to 60 if it still makes noise...whoo!!!!! Lets say it still does, and the fuse is still in it..what else could it be?

of how tough a subie could be this may be it.

The good part is that differentials are designed to compensate

For the difference in wheel speed caused by going around corners.

there is an excellent chance that this car will survive this unscathed.

I look forward to the answer.

Cookie, the center diff is LSD...it won't tolerate different axle speeds for prolonged periods of time.

Zavikan, I wish you all the best, I understand your situation completely!

But don't worry about it, the car runs, proper size tyres all round will stop stressing the transmission, and hence should stop any further damage.

I would certainly recommed replacing the oil and filter for both engine and transmission, and then get on with driving. If the autobox gives up one day, just take it from there.

Don't let anyone give you a hard time over buying a foreign car. Subarus are up there with the best of the best, and any car that age will have hidden problems.

The exhaust rattle is the primary muffler. You can replace the midpipe, or you could just cut out the primary muffler and put in a straight pipe. This will solve your issue.

Also, there is no such thing as a "turbo" svx, unless someone added a turbo to it which is highly unlikely. (You might want to check under the hood.) :)

Best,

Mike

sound is gone, everything seems to work ok....I'll change oil and tranny fluid this week end hopefully..wont be running the car much before then.

Exhaust WAS a heat shield, and my catalytic converter is begining to crap out(who needs those anyways!?) but other then that, it passed inspection with flying colors...not bad for 2800 bucks...

Thnx again guys! I'll be back here when something blows up on me and all the techs don't know what the hell a subaru SVX is.

The svx forum that you posted was very helpful for future stuff as well, thanx!

James