Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to get the front Hubs off?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:26 PM

So I'm doing my front brakes right now on my '78, putting on new pads and new rotors. But, I'm not sure how to get the hub off. I dont have access to the "hub tool" shown in the service manuals. Any suggestions?

#2 Seahag1978

Seahag1978

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • Witch City

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:57 PM

You can use a ball joint tool. Funny you should post this. My '78 just ate yet another set of front bearings... I think I need a new hub. Like NOW!

#3 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,880 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:07 PM

a good dead blow hammer also works pretty well. If its stuck more then anything in the world, a sledge hammer will work but you would probably mess up the threads on the end of the axle stub.

#4 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:29 PM

Actually, I figured this out right after I posted, lol!

I just pulled hard and had someone hit the axle with a sledge :P Poped right off.

Now im trying to do the stupid caliper piston after cleaning everything up and putting on the new rotors... I have to get the piston in about 1/2 an inch :(

#5 subarunuts

subarunuts

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:12 PM

I like to use a brass hammer - can get them for like $4 at harbor freight. They wear out eventually, but are good for smacking things harder than a dead blow will allow without hurting the threads. Thread the axle nut on backwards too to help keep the threads in good shape.

#6 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,880 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 17 September 2005 - 01:26 PM

for the caliper, try removing it from the car completly or remove the bleeder screw. It makes life so much easier then trying to compress the brake fluid inside.

#7 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:31 PM

I used Subjunkies "modified socket" designed tool to compress the pistons, worked very well :) Rather hard to do, but it worked.

But now of course, I have zero brake pressure...

#8 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:53 PM

Glad that worked for you. For people who might not have a brake piston tool... here's a DIY version:

Posted Image

Steve I might need to borrow the tool you made. I think im going to have to do brakes on my RX tomorrow.

-Brian

#9 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 18 September 2005 - 01:11 AM

Steve I might need to borrow the tool you made. I think im going to have to do brakes on my RX tomorrow.

-Brian

Thats fine. You can borrow any tools you need. I have to bleed mine tommorow, I didnt have anyone around to help today but ya everything is in place minus the bleeding.

#10 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:59 PM

Well now I have a VERY serious issue with the brakes...

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=43316

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users