Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Munch! Bearings are Snack Candy!

What gives with this? Ok, the previous owner replaced the bearings... no dice, improper installation... my guess... around the block.

I had a "pro" install an Autozone set... he tried to "press" them out... heated it with a torch and pressed it again. Finally, Tim looked and saw the shoulder separating them and removed them from the inside out... replacements lasted less than 100 miles. They had wierd seals that didn't look like they would hold the grease in. Anyway... no dice.

Tim and I installed a Timken set... I know they were installed by the book... no dice?!

The "hub" (steering knuckle, where the bearings go) was overheated at least TWO times that I know of. Could the knuckle be so distorted now that it's eating bearings?

One more question... I took it in to be aligned... new shocks, axles, ball joints etc.... the man (who I trust) said, "Your steering rack is junk. I can't align it." He also told me it wasn't dangerous... yet.

He showed me how he could shake the wheels at the top... could this wheel movement be a reason the bearings are getting trashed??

I need some help here!

Thanks!

Mary

I had a similar bearing problem. What i believe has happened is this:

when i bought this car, the front wheel bearings were in very bad shape. I took them out, there was signs that the bearing had been partially locking up, thus spinning the outer race in the knuckle. Because of the preload on the bearings, this wore the seperating shoulder down. When the new bearings are installed , because this shoulder is smaller than it was, while the inner race spacer is the correct size, the bearings are preloaded excessivly.

To correct this, i made some shims up to go between the shoulder and the outer race. This seemed to do the trick, although the car only did 5000kms or so after doing this before i took it off the road due to rust.

Have a look at the shoulder and see if it looks worn, or if there are any signs of the bearing turning in its housing. Also, do the bearings that come out of it look overheated (straw colour or blue)?

Are the bearings hard to get into the housing? They shouldn't be a very tight fit - they should tap in quite easily, since the outer race is supposed to very slowly creep around to give even wear.

Mary, what Ross says makes good sense, also, when you took the last set of bearings out, did they come out real easy, or did you need to beat them out with a drift..? Also, you say you drove them out backwards....? one has to come out the front of the hub, while the rear comes out the rear of the hub, with the collar keeping the distance between them correct,

I don't mess with aftermarket bearings anymore....I buy Factory, one cause they come as a kit with both bearings and Both seals, and the seal is a Factory double lipped seal....

I will do My best to try and Call you in the Morning before I go over the mountain for a Wedding.....Be expecting a call around 9am or so your time..:)

Nite, John

After talkng to Mudrat and Todd, we have learned that there is a much needed spacer that sits between the bearings. My Brat is lacking the spacer. Sooo, combine that with the now warped hub... munch! Todd is winging me a new hub with spacer. Thanks guys!

Yeah, missing the spacer might decrease the life of the bearings just a tad;) .