Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Turn signal/ hazard unit

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,796 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 23 September 2003 - 09:12 PM

My turn signals and hazards will not work and the reason i found is that the plug was never plugged back in after my Dad and I pulled the dash wiring harness. Can anyone very accuratly describe or photograph the location of the turn signal/ hazard unit for me? All the FSM says is that it is inside the insturment cluster. POS book...

#2 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,941 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 23 September 2003 - 09:38 PM

are you asking what color the wire plugs from the switch are or what color the plugs that go to the switch are?

The ones from the column are wrapped in a tan wire sheating and its a white plug and a brown plug.

Shawn

#3 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,796 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 23 September 2003 - 10:14 PM

there is a black 4 plug connecter housing 3 wires that connects to the turn signal/ hazard unit. i need to know where the unit is so i can plug this connecter back in!

#4 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,941 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 24 September 2003 - 12:19 AM

The unit is black and is at the very top of the column directly next to the steering wheel as you would guess by looking at it without the covers off.

Would taking the colored plastic off the column help you figure this out? 7-8 phillips screws and you would be able to see the whole workings within the steering column.

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 24 September 2003 - 01:01 AM

I think he's refering to the flasher unit - the part that actually does the flashing. Not the switch in the column. I don't know where it is exactly....

GD

#6 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,796 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 24 September 2003 - 08:46 AM

GD you hit the nail on the head! im looking for the flasher unit!!! please help me!!!

#7 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,796 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 24 September 2003 - 08:08 PM

bump

#8 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 24 September 2003 - 09:04 PM

Freaker,

You said that something was unplugged, and that's what's preventing your lights from flashing.

Maybe, but a burnt bulb would give you the exact same symptoms. I'd check those out first before assuming the flasher circuit. If your turn signal indicator comes on at all when you hit your turn signal, you can pretty much rule out a loose connector. One way to test the flasher unit module by turning on the hazard lights. This circuit is independent of the turn signals.

good luck, John

#9 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,796 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 24 September 2003 - 09:10 PM

Nope, Im 100% sure the flasher unit is unplugged. when i hit the turn signals or the hazards nothing happens in the dash or outside the car. besides i looked in the FSM for what the wires looked like and the plug i am looking at is the one for the flasher unit. where is the flasher unit?!?!?!

#10 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,941 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 24 September 2003 - 10:00 PM

786111030 is the part number. I cant seem to find a diagram that shows where it is in any of my parts manuals.

The diagram indicates its slightly to the left of the center of the car under the dash but its very vague.

#11 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,796 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 25 September 2003 - 07:26 PM

went and looked at my carb'd parts car and i found the SOB. i think my hand is permantly deformed now though!!!

#12 85glwagon

85glwagon

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Shelton, Wa

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:30 AM

lol, tell me about it, i just replaced the damn thing just to find out that wasn't the problem :banghead:

#13 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:26 AM

the hazards are on the hazard/horn/clock fuse
do the lights come on ut not flash?

#14 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,941 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:50 PM

Exactly what Fox is saying, if your clock reads 1:00 every time you start the car COLD then the problem is the whole circuit not just the flasher unit.

#15 TheYeti

TheYeti

Carp in Denim!

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Arvada

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:26 PM

Sorry to bump this old thread, but does anyone know where in the heck this stupid thing is actually located? I need to replace mine and cannot find it anywhere.

Manual says it is near the fuse box, but I don't see it there.

#16 TheYeti

TheYeti

Carp in Denim!

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Arvada

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:02 PM

I found the hazard flasher unit... finally. What a pain, but at least it is fixed :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users