Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Railer?!?!

Bobby_boucher

Well i just bought a homemade buggy but maily for the design, its only a 1 seater and it has a honda 250 motor in it. Looking at it just got me thinking about fabbing up a frame that is wider and longer and that finally gives me somthing to put my ea82t enigine into.

The parts im having problmes thinkin up is a good suspention for the veh. I wast think maybe motorcycle suspention but i think i wouls thras that way too easly. Has anyone done a project like think before?? and are there any hints and tips???

I was thinkging of going with a ea82t but now that i think about it it would probably be better to go with a ea81 and hook up and auto tranny just so its easier for my girlfriend to drive. Hmmm im going to have to contemplate this a little longer. but as soon as i get started i will be sure to start a thread and keep everyone informed.

Just use the whole engine/subframe/front suspension in the back, with a fwd box. If its EA82 switch the lower arms left to right so the caster rods come forward, its easier to mount and keep tidy.Tilt the struts back about 10-15 deg from the vertical. For front suspension easiest is to find a lightweight donor car with independant front double wishbone. Over here in NZ the vehicle of choice is the vauxhall viva, a lovely piece of 70's english engineering whoses only claim to fame is having the ideal front suspension unit for project cars. Its not easy to build youre own suspension from scratch.

^ the Suzuki rail looks kinda cool too.

Thats brilliant! It does solve alot of issues I had in my head about doing a conversion of other vehicals. It makes for a great mid engine balance. I wonder how durable that is. The Eldorado and Tornado. used to use a massive chain to deliver the power to the front wheels. I bet with a little hunting one can find a nice gearbox to do that.

nipper

I wonder how durable that is.

nipper

No problems at all so far, with as much abuse as i can give it. IE, dropping clutch on tarmac to test it on the first day. I spray a lot of oil on it, because of the ratio it rotates pretty fast. If anyone is tempted to copy this try using smaller diameter sprockets and a double row chain to keep the chain speed down. This setup is fine to around 70kph, and has so far proved durable to approx 120kph, but gets pretty noisey and all the oil flies off! I used the steering knuckle mostly because it provided a source of HD bearings, mounting options and was meant to take a drive axle. And it was free.

Friend of my is in the process of building a similar buggy using an EA82T and auto box, the auto box of course will mean a full time drive the rear wheels in this case, and the front will be activated by the hydraulic clutchpack that would originally have engaged the rear. result = a mid engined rear-drive buggy that can engage 4wd while under full power at the press of a button, no need to throttle-off! He is using 2x EA82 front subframes, one with locked steering in the back to carry the engine and rear suspension, and one in the front to provide steering and carry a diffhead for drive.

Way cool, i was wondering about the chain velocity. Gears depending upon thier cut can be just as noisy. There is a posting here on a 66 VW conversion, and somone suggested using the automaitc as its easier (on paper) to change the rotation of the output drive. I thought the steering nuckle was brilliant :)

nipper