Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Several Questions

Durania

My first thread on the forums so here it goes:

i have 2 fans on my radiator i have seen one work but not the other what is up with that?

Anyone know where to get an OEM 84 GL key?

I have a short in the clock somwhere that drains the battery when the switch is off, so now i have to disconnect the battery anywhere i go, anyone ever have this problem?

Is there any good online vintage subaru part stores?

I have plenty more questions; but they will come to me in time.

Thanks

Fans: If you've got two, assuming they're both electric, one is probably for the A/C.

Key: Just go the the Subaru dealer with your VIN.

Clock: Start poking around with an ohm-meter. I can't be of too much help there.

Parts stores: I've had good luck with 1stsubaruparts.com. Thepartsbin.com also seems to have a good stock of subaru parts, but I haven't ordered from them before so I don't know much.

one should be a mechanical clutch fan which attaches at the water pump. the other is an electrical fan. from what ive heard, you got the clutch fan if your car came with AC.

not sure whats going on with your clock. :-\

I pulled the fuse for it the other day and you all know that the fuse is on the same relay as the horn. When i pulled it the clock still worked and when I pushed on the horn it lit up the back hatch; I thought it was pretty cool but its not the result I was looking for.

Okay, the first off, the deal with the fans. You should have a mechanical clutch fan that is attached to the water pump snout and one electric fan. If you have two electric fans, I would assume that one comes on with the A/C.

I am trying to remember what the deal was with the clock. Mine did it a while back, but I can't remember for the life of me what I did to fix it, nor do I have the car where I can look at it to tell you(I'm kinda in Okinawa, Japan right now and my car is in Texas.)

The key you should be able to get from any Subaru dealership parts dept. They usually have them in stock.

As far as the part thing goes, I'd suggest thepartsbin.com, as there have been a few members that have had very good luck with that site.

how do you know the short is in the clock?

best way to troubleshoot this is to get either an ammeter or a test light. Disconnect one of the battery terminals and put the ammeter/test light in series between the battery & battery cable.

Start pulling fuses one by one until the current drops to nothing. That will narrow it down to (hopefully) one circuit.

You have to use the key to start it? My '84 GL could also be started with the ignition key to my 1981 bluebird schoolbus or my house key.

On the drained battery, how much current is it pulling when it should be off? What I have done to several cars (mostly Hondas) with this problem is glue a small solar panel on the roof or the hood, and hook it up to the battery. If you use a 5 or 10 watt panel, it's still small enough that it won't cook the battery, but will keep it charged up even with a 20 to 50mA continuous drain on the battery. This is usually about $100, but I felt that was cheaper than trying to figure out what was wrong... troubleshooting wiring is an immense time drain (and money drain if your paying someone to do it).

I've seen around 5-10mA for the clock. You should be able to pull the clock fuse and have NO current at all flowing.

well i pulled the fuse for the clock and the damn thing still works, and thats what i have narrowed it down to. It started the other day when the battery and the alternator went bad on teh same day and blew the fuse for the radio.

• 6 years later...
I pulled the fuse for it the other day and you all know that the fuse is on the same relay as the horn. When i pulled it the clock still worked and when I pushed on the horn it lit up the back hatch; I thought it was pretty cool but its not the result I was looking for.

Resurrection time. My clock in my 86 EA82 recently started to set its self at 1:00 almost every time I start my car, and when I push my horn the hatch warning lights up.

Any Ideas. Thanks

The constant power to the clock memory is being interupted. Hopefully resoldering the resistor will fix that but it may not. The clock usually doesn't work at all when that happens. Make sure the fuses and fusible links are ok. If the trouble isn't with one of those things then you will have to trace the memory power lead back for a problem.

The horn switch makes a ground connection to sound the horn. There may be a grounding problem with the horn switch or to the cluster. You can use a ground jumper test lead to bypass suspected trouble areas to see if that changes things.

Edited by Cougar