Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driving Cross Country Next Week, need emergency ph. numbers

Guest alliturken

Guest alliturken

Hi all, I have not been on here much lately, hope everyone is doing well.

I'm giving my 86 GL Turbo Coupe to my 16 year old. He is flying out to SoCal and we are driving it back to Williamsburg, VA next week, leaving Monday. We will take the "scenic route", hitting a lot of cool spots along the way in NV, UT, CO NM, TX, etc. Lot's of camping. We will go thru Vegas towards Bryce Canyon, UT, then drop down into NM for Shiprock, thn southern route thru Texas the rest of the way.

I want to take some emergency phone numbers of Subaru parts/repair places that I could contact in case of problems along the way. I'm looking for advice from you guys on who can really come thru in a pinch, either along that route for repairs, or for shipping out parts (or an engine!) PDQ. Also, if I could get any individual USMB member ph. numbers for advice in the case of roadside repairs, that'd be great too. I think the car is running really good, just had a new crossover pipe done, and timing belt adjusted, got everything else scoped out and all seems good. But, you never know.

Any other advice for what to take with me (spares, flares, duct tape, etc.) would also be welcomed.

Damn I really really hate to let this car go. But, the kid LOVES it. And he's driving now. I'll need another project when I get back.

Guest calebz

My travel toolbox consists of duct tape, a long roll of medium guage speaker wire(you wouldn't believe how useful that has been for everything from securing loads to bypassing the switch for the tail lights when they went kaput quite a ways from home),

8,10,12,14 mm sockets and wrenches.. basically the factory tool kits.. you can fix most small problems with that.. screwdrivers, pliers.. some extra oil and coolant.. the normal stuff.

Small handgun is optional.. I chose not to bring it because I had 2 large dogs in the back. No weapon needed, they are an excellent alarm/secutirty system. Watch out for weirdos

What part of TX you comin through?. maybe we could hook up for lunch or something.. give you a short break on your trip.or a garage in which to work, should you need it.

I just made the trip from WA to TX with relatively few troubles.

send me an email to the addy in my bio, and I'll send you my phone number. I'm about 30 miles north of dallas.

Guest alliturken

Thanks a lot Calebz. I'll email you for the phone number. The route I have planned only has me going thru Amarillo, north of you, on the way to OK City, but if you are not too far below Amarillo, we could still meet perhaps.

Any other recommended "must have" numbers from you guys?

Guest alliturken

Thanks Syrinx. Is that a repair shop? I'll try to get the ph number on line. IF anyone has a link fr them pls fwd it.

Guest ccrinc

You can always call us if you have a problem. I usually know people/shops in most states (big grin)

I also find it comforting to have spare accessory belts and common hoses on a long trip. Emergency repairs in the middle of nowhere have happened because we had that stuff with us!

Emily

www.ccrengines.com

Guest LostWater

Me: LostWater@LostWater.com, Location Christiansburg VA, on I-81, 30 miles from I-77 interchange, 90 miles from I-40/I-77,

Shops: The Bug Shop, Blacksburg, VA 540-552-8800

Salem Import auto, Salem VA (I-81) 540-389-8587

Hal's Subaru Service, near enough to I-40, western NC: 3787 US 21 North, Sparta

www.halspartsandservice.com/

My twin Lives in Va Beach, 40 miles south of Williamsburg, give him a shout for eastern VA: mikldom@yahoo.com

Regards,

Mark

www.LostWater.com

Guest alliturken

Great.....all added, thanks. I'll give him your twin's info as a resource after the trip as well, since he is so close to Williamsburg.

Guest Meeky Moose

since I64 runs through Charlottesville, and thats the route you'll prolly take....

home # is 990-1134

work # 964-5225

i'm so close to williamsburg you prolly won't need mine, but just in case :) gimme a holler if you need help around c'ville..

Guest LostWater

What route do you plan on taking? I know I-40 goes the whole way from Ca to NC, I-64 goes from St. Louis to Chesapeake, VA, through Williamsburg.

Regards,

Mark

Guest alliturken

After Santa Fe, NM, it'll be I-40 almost all the way, then from Knoxville TN, I-81 up thru SW VA, then 64 from Staunton/Blue Ridge Mtns down thru Charlottesville and Richmond into Wmsbg. Before Santa Fe it's kind of a snakey route.......we have some out-of-the-way stopovers planned in NV, UT, NM. Gotta get in a little off-roading.

Guest wjmgl10

Ok dude, Jimmie Higgins, of Higgins Auto, he is da subaru man of these parts, in Salisbury NC, which is north of Charlotte NC by about...45 miles or so, right off of 85 a bit.

1-704-647-9590

And as for me, who lives somwhat near there...1-704-436-2101. Will is da name, as you know...

Guest alliturken

Will: Good to hear from you. I forgot you are in NC. Great. Jimmy Higgins.....noted, along with your ph. number.

Listen, I'm a little worried about the head gasket all of a sudden. No obvious signs of coolant/oil mix, but I have had a ton of moisture out of the exhaust in the mornings, which could be a sign. What is a good test for head gasket condition? I do have a compression tester.

Congrats on the RX score. I didnt know you had purchased one.

Guest wjmgl10

Is the moisture all of a sudden? If you've got cats on the car...then the moist. is normal, my GL-10 does it. Its got new headgaskets.

The RX? Yeah. Its stripped down, going to be a rally/road racing car. Engine power issues right now...as in, no power really. Its got a troubled past...I think its been over heated, it came from here, was totaled, then sold in West VA, drvin in snow I take it (some tale tale rust areas exist, not much tho), and since then has been issued several salvage titles, and a few more wreck...the front end, from the bottom of the bumper up is warped. Looks like it hit on the pass. side up high kinda hard, and wasnt pulled back out properly.

Oh well, it feels solid. Trans is great! Everythin works on it. Oh, LSD too. :evil:

Guest alliturken

Will: Well, just rallycross the crap out of it, then. I dunno what kind of roadracer it'll make without a lot of suspension work.....but rallycross for sure. I love RX's. BTW I realized not long ago that my GL has the LSD rear. Cool! I guess it was pre-RX, but got some of the goods.

Head gaskets: Any advice on a test? I'm getting nervous about this trip. Did you do yours yourself? How long did it take?

I wish we could hook up on this trip, it'd be fun to meet. How far from 81 are you?

Guest wjmgl10

Dandridge, TN is 240 miles...

Wytheville, VA is 150 miles...

Lexington, VA is 226 miles...

Middletown, VA is 336 miles...

Are you going thru any of those?

Ok, HGs...it didnt take me long to do it, I had a shop, and already had the engine in, out and apart severla times before the actual HG install...if i did it again, in one day, it woudl take me about 3-4 hrs to do everything right. Thats not sending things off either, that just engine out, engine apart, put it back together and back in. I think that's what it would take me...

HG testing.......? Ummm...a coolant system pressure test cold and hot to see if its leaking at all...thats what I think of.

I think camber plates would help TREMENDOUSLY for road course on this car. Big sticky tires too.

Guest alliturken

Yes I'll be going thru Wytheville, that's the closest one. Probably around midday on Sunday 10th.

Can I buy the coolant system pressure tester at, say PEP Boys?

RX for road: Camber plates with more camber/lots of caster at a minimum to even get around a road course without plowing in slow speed turns. To have decent laps you will need some new hard bushings, cut down springs and a fabbed rear beefy sway bar. Fun project that would be!

By the way, I was in the pits for American Lemans and SpeedWC this weekend at Sonoma. WOW. So cool I've still got a case of wood. Hung out in the shop for The Racers Group (Porsche, GT class), who ran 3 cars. Also chatted with Boris Said again.....good guy. Loves rally including Scoobs and Evo's.

Guest electryc monk

I saw a ref. to Bryce canyon, don't forget Zion Nat'l park too.... both are to drool over and the water fall in Zion is VERY Humbling *IF* it still has water falling this time of year.

as for Texas, well Caleb is in The I-75 I-380 intersection area of Mckinney and I am due west of him in Denton which is directly south on I-35 3 hours from OK City.

I too have a phone number via email if ou want it.....

I'd recomend one little tidbit for radiator hose (figured this one one by necessity two years ago. At Wally-world (AKA Wal mart) in the bathroom section is the sink drain replacement set with a O.D. of 1 1/2 inches if memory is numerically correct, well it fits purrrrfectly inside the radiator hose and get a set of 3 or 4 hose claps too for insurance *IF* you feel like it. Cost of that set from wally-world was like $7.00 plus tax. :cool:

Traffic hassle "heads up" there is a Ton of construction in OK City so be patient when going thru there.

IF you are headed thru St. Louis Mo, and Taking I-44 across and into Ilinois then be aware that the I-44 exit to cross the river is going to be an absolute nightmare "IF they haven't gotten the detour figured out by now" I drove thru just after the 4th of July and there were signs warning of the impending HEAVY CONSTRUCTION AND DELAYS et al.

that's all for now... safe travels and keep the shinney side up.....

Guest Meeky Moose

ruckersville, is not but 20 min north of charlottesville, and besides, i'm always glad to help someone in need...

Guest james hogan

I-81 runs about 25m from my home on Bent Mountain near Roanoke, Va.

if you get into a jam near here, let me know.

540 929 4818

Regards and Good Luck,

Jay

BTW I 81 near Roanoke is 60 mph. Va state troopers are serious here because of the truck traffic. Unsolicited Advice.

Guest alliturken

You guys are the best......this is why I just love the USMB. Great to see some Virginians on here.....BTW that's my home state.

E-Monk: Yes going to Zion, too. I love that whole area, including Moab. My email is twilder3@cox.net if you want to send your number. Thanks.

Meeky: I thought it was pretty close....cool.

James: Thanks a lot for the number.

The Monday morning departure time is getting closer....I'm getting anxious but excited.

Headgasket update: Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I checked coolant to see if any traces of oil...none. No coolant in oil either. A few air bubbles in both though just after startup. Should be ok for the trip. Wish me luck.