Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Buzzin' Fuel Pump

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SubaRube

SubaRube

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • San Leandro, CA

Posted 24 September 2003 - 12:36 AM

Should I be worried if my fuel pump is buzzing loud enough to hear through the floor? I remember hearing it when I used to start up my 86, but not a constant noise like this.

#2 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,905 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 24 September 2003 - 12:40 AM

I do know that the fuel pump buzzing is normal. I don't know why it would be that loud but I know its supposed to buzz when its pumping fuel. Usually when a pump is gonna go out, its a gradual thing so if you haven't noticed anything unusal, then it should be fine. It will start to cut out every now and then if it was showing signs of going out. I don't think its anything to be worried about.

#3 SubaRube

SubaRube

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • San Leandro, CA

Posted 24 September 2003 - 12:52 AM

Thanks Caboobaroo.:headbang:

Just when I got used to all the funky noises my 86 used to spew out, I have to start all over again. Looks like they installed a whole different set of noises on my 87.:D

#4 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 24 September 2003 - 01:00 AM

Sounds like you got a VW/Audi part. Their cars from those years made a very loud whirrr...from the fuel pump. Dealer: "They all do that, sir."

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 24 September 2003 - 01:06 AM

Some pumps just make noise - doesn't mean it's going out. I know a chevy astro that's like that - you can hear it through the floor - and that pump is brand new as of like two weeks ago - I helped install it (what a bitch BTW).

Aren't the VW / Audi ones in the tank? I remeber my friend had a problem where the stator on the pump motor went out, and he would have to smack the fuel tank to get the pump to start turning again..... pretty funny when you think about it.

GD

#6 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,290 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 24 September 2003 - 02:16 AM

The one on the Brat is really loud, but works just fine. I have a fuel pressure guage, and regardless of how loud or quiet the pump happens to be, the pressure remains the same. I wouldn't worry too much about, jes means the pump is getting a little old.

#7 orangegoblin

orangegoblin

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 24 September 2003 - 07:12 AM

I've had this problem on my EA81 wagon. Turned out to be the soft rubber dampeners were old and hard, so were transmitting noise through the floor pan. Replaced them and no more noise!!!

#8 Meeky Moose

Meeky Moose

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 24 September 2003 - 07:22 AM

i had a 85 vw jetta wolfsburg edition.. that damn fuel pump had to have been the loudest POS i have ever heard.. it was mounted right down on the passenger side rear door... worked fine just louder than crap...

my fuel pump on my turbo wagon hums for a few seconds when i first turn on the key, but then quiets down...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users