Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX Springs > XT springs

So i got sick of bottoming out everytime I left my driveway, hit a speedbump, took a turn too hard.

So i got some RX springs from the junkyard and put them in yesterday. Got about 1" back from the front end, and the ride is alot more stiff. Matches the rear end now and is alot of fun to drive again.

Here's a pic of before:

DSC_0147.sized.jpg

After:

DSC00579.sized.jpg

-Brian

Nope... i got RX springs to replace the XT springs i had in there.

A few months ago I put some GR2's from a 2WD XT in my RX to drop it. It dropped the front end about 2" and the XT springs are much softer than the RX ones.

here is a side by side comparison of them:

DSC00575.sized.jpg

RX springs on the right, XT on the left.

I sold my old RX springs and struts to Noah at the WCSS, and found a RX in the local yard and snagged the springs from that. Put them in yesterday, and i realize this is something i shoulda done along time ago. I might have been able to keep my 15" pugs if I had done this in the 1st place.

-Brian

Alittle oversteer never killed anyone. Actually, i do want the rear to swing out alittle if possible.

-Brian

Then you should be set up nicely. Coilovers though would probably be overkill on that platform except for the true racecars that don't see street use.

you have coilovers now, technically. Coilovers aren't just for race use. they give proper travel, proper damping, all that great stuff. Which is sadly lacking when one lowers the stock stuff :-\

Did I say that they are just for race use? For a pretty much stock RX though they would be overkill to say the least. There are much better things to spend money on. It'd be like putting coilovers on a BRAT in some respects it'll help but unless you can use the full capability some mildly stiffer springs and good struts/shocks will be just fine for street use. Now if he wanted to go with nice wide wheels and tires then I'd say spend the money but even for limited autoxing he'd be wasting his money until he catches up with new bushings all around, upgraded braking etc..

Take a look at our SVX racer. It doesn't have coil overs nor in my opinion is the car even remotely in need of 'em yet. The cobled together set up of WRX H&R 200lbs springs, SVX Konis up front and WRX stock front struts in rear work just fine. Only thing lacking is a decent camber (can't get more than 2 out of the front yet). Granted I wouldn't even want our set up on the street either.

Coilovers are good for the people who have an actual use for them and who know how to use them properly.

Examples:

Racing...either track or autox...or rally.

Show cars...lowering/raising them to the desired height.

Street...for the ultimate driving experience...usually the street car is used as an autox/rallyx car as well.

I do not recommend coilovers to people who will not use them to their max potential....usually STi struts and a set of _________ springs does just fine for them. My outback will never have coilovers...why? STi stuts on stock springs with F/R sway bars will make it handle how i want it for a street car. My RX will ALWAYS have coilovers. Why? Its the 'race car' and it will ALWAYS have handling before power. Why can I keep up with STi's and etc on the Dragon? It handles better than anything else on the road up there. Strightaway...ok, I'll catch you guys in that corner up there.

Coilovers are good for the people who have an actual use for them and who know how to use them properly.

Examples:

Racing...either track or autox...or rally.

Show cars...lowering/raising them to the desired height.

Street...for the ultimate driving experience...usually the street car is used as an autox/rallyx car as well.

I do not recommend coilovers to people who will not use them to their max potential....usually STi struts and a set of _________ springs does just fine for them. My outback will never have coilovers...why? STi stuts on stock springs with F/R sway bars will make it handle how i want it for a street car. My RX will ALWAYS have coilovers. Why? Its the 'race car' and it will ALWAYS have handling before power. Why can I keep up with STi's and etc on the Dragon? It handles better than anything else on the road up there. Strightaway...ok, I'll catch you guys in that corner up there.

Exactly my point. Running away from stock STis really isn't that hard to do even my 6 doesn't have much issue with it. ;)