Ultimate Subaru Message Board

quad light upgrade?

Ok so ive been thinking (seams like this came up once before on the old board)

but i want to know what bulbs fit in the quad light gen 1's

i measured them they look to be 5.5in all i can find is 5.75 or 5's

i would like to put a real bright bulb in my high beams to use for rallying. and night driving.(as some of these roads you wont see another person for 100miles in teh day much less at night)

i also seam to remeber somone puting yellow bulbs in one spot (from bmw??) anyway any ideas......

i've been toying with the idea of BMW lights... they used quad round headlights for many many years... and they seem bright... my uncles are pretty darn good...

i took a quick measurement but i think they will fit...

some guy over on the legacycentral board put bmw lights in his 1st gen legacy.. I thought it was ugly, but i figured I'd let you know

You can get non-sealed beam (like H4 or something) replacements for most (if not all) sealed beam lights. Not too expensive either. Then you can go to like, 120W per bulb. You want the number on the front of the light, ill look at the quads on my 79 later if you want.

You can get the proper size housings from JC Whitney for an H-4 headlight conversion. I did this to Eyesore, and am now able to run Sylvania Silverstar H-4 bulbs. The whole deal cost about $75. BIG difference.

If you wanted to lay out big $$, you can even do a H.I.D. conversion.

For Rallying, and extreme rural areas (like I was in,) I reccommend the H-4 conversion and KC's in concert. (BTW, I've found the $20each Walmart-special 6" spots to work/last quite well. I see no need to spend Hella, KC kind of $$ on lights. My .02)