Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 5 bolt conversion ?

Guest subu luvr

I just got the list and the parts. Might be putting them on the car Friday. The list might not make much sense until you actually look at a XT6 and look at an ea82. It seems that some people have had an easy time and others have had a difficult time doing the conversion. Although part numbers are supposedly the same, it sounds like it might be better to get all parts from the 4wd car.

Rear:

Rotor and Hub assembly

Backing plate

Lots of brake line. (I believe you should get two metal pieces and two soft pieces per side.)

Calipers (Unless you already have rear discs).

Front:

The easy answer is everything from the tranny out. I didn't understand this until I looked at an XT6. Things are different.

Axels (The hole in the hub is different, therefore different axle)

Hubs

Rotors

Calipers

Backing plate

Lower suspension arm

Steering Knuckle

Strut (Might be obvious here but unless you already have air shocks you will need regular struts. My donor car had air, I had to find regular)

Spring

Brake line (Easier to just get it as it is threaded through the strut)

Tie rod end

Ball joint

Guest subu luvr

yikes, what a mess....

maybe its a good thing i dont see many XT6 in the yards

:(

nice writeup though and thanks a million

probably just do the 5spd d/r and leave it at that

Its the strangest thing... The FWD front end parts we got for Hondasucks had 17MM bolts where the arms attach to the cross member. I checked a 4WD... same 17mm size... neither fit in the 14mm front end of his turbowagon :cornfuzz:

So either some XT6's have 14mm front bolts or some EA82's have 17mm front ends.

I suspect it's the 4WD as opposed to the 2WD. Can't verify.

Mine was of the two wheel drive variety. Just drilled the crossmember out and went at it. Expect the struts too be shorter from the XT6. drops the car 1 1/2 to 2" in the front. This is from my experience. Outcomes may vary.

Good Luck,

Jay

Its the strangest thing... The FWD front end parts we got for Hondasucks had 17MM bolts where the arms attach to the cross member. I checked a 4WD... same 17mm size... neither fit in the 14mm front end of his turbowagon

yeah its really weird. We're thinking about modifying the crossmember so it'll fit. Can't think of anything else to do:brolleye: