Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake Indicator Light-What does it mean?

Happened to my Mom again this morning then went out. Brake warning light on, e-brake would not shut it off. This time the brake fluid level was a little lower so I am having her bring it to Prestige Imports Subaru In Plesantville, NY. It is closer to her work and I feel safer if she drives it the least posible miles before this situation is solved. She parks on a gravel driveway so seeing a brake fluid leak is imposible. I think some thing might have nicked a brake line!!

Happened to my Mom again this morning then went out. Brake warning light on, e-brake would not shut it off. This time the brake fluid level was a little lower so I am having her bring it to Prestige Imports Subaru In Plesantville, NY. It is closer to her work and I feel safer if she drives it the least posible miles before this situation is solved. She parks on a gravel driveway so seeing a brake fluid leak is imposible. I think some thing might have nicked a brake line!!

Were the driving lights on or off when the warning light stayed on? If off, could be only the parking brake lever switch that's sticking.

Driving lights WERE ON e-brake down and the idiot light on! So level sensor or pressure the issue. Prestige is looking at it today for her. She is still under the 36k new car warrenty so it will be covered RIGHT?

Well, they may cover normal fluid use or something as a goodwill issue - but that is often due to a brake job (probably just front pads) being required. Dobtful that is a warranty issue.

Most any real problem they should cover if it's very close to or under 36K.

I'd prepare myself fo a phone call saying the front pads are worn and need replacing.

I know you said they were good - I dunno, maybe it IS a leak that doesn't show on the gravel.

1 Lucky texan, you are right on the nose! Got a call ALL pads are worn down $250 for front two $250 for back two and the will flush and bleed the system. My Mom is going for it since THEY said they are going to get into the rotors soon. 32k of my MOM driving the car and ALL FOUR OEM pads are shot!! This sounds like the shody braking system in our '98 Legacy L that wore pads and rotors unevenly and ate 10 sets of pads and four sets of rotors in 150k!! Is there anything better out there for us? I replaced the junk stock rotors on the '98 L with Brembo rotors and they lasted longer.