Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need bigger Subaru Rims for 4 lug....want lots of advice

torxxx

K, I'm lifting my car finally. Now I'm worrying about tires. What do I need to make 235/75's fit on it? I was thinking Chevy 6 lug rims and having the hubs redrilled. Is there any other sizes of rims with the 4x140mm lugs (whatever the soob stock pattern is, I might be off a few mm)

I'm gonna go junkyarding this weekend, so I'm trying to get an idea on what I should look for. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible. figuring getting rims drilled would cost more then having the hubs redrilled and new lugs put in.

Ideally I'd like to get a set of 14 inch rims, but I dont think I'm gonna be able to find them down here in Soldotna/Kenai area. If there is anyone in Alaska thats got bigger rims that'll fit a sooby, please let me know.

subarus and puegots are the only wheels you will find with the 4x pattern.

pugs are cool but they dont stick out far enough for some people.

i think the 6 lug conversion wit chevy, or toyota wheels is the best option. the 90s toyota trucks have a nice offset for wider tires, and that means less bashing.

YOu're going to need a LOT of backspacing to make 235's fit. Aside from that, most 14" rims (including pugs) are only about 5.5-6" wide. That's a bit narrow for a 235 tire. Having said that, Tire Rack shows no tires in 235/75-14. Jump up to a 15 and you suddenly get 34 choices in AT and MT flavors.

You'll need a wheel at least 6" wide and plenty of backspacing. Best options here are Chevy and Toyota 6-lug steels. You'll have better luck getting someone to modify the cars hubs than finding someone to modify the wheels as that is illegal in most states. Besides, 6 is better than 4, right?

As a point of reference, I'm running 195/70-14's on Pug alloys. Thats a LOT of tire under such a small car.

Hey there buddy you might be in luck. I have a set of 4x140mm pug 15in rims that I was going to be using on my brat before I decided to go over to a 5 lug conversion for the TT setup. I removed all the paint on them to have them either powder coated or custom painted. I would like to keep them but if the right offer comes along "HINT :brow: HINT" I might part with them. They are in wonderful shape and cost me a pretty penny on top of getting the paint removed. Let me know what you think. If you would like to mabe buy them PM me and we can talk money. Check out the pictures!

there are a few leafs in the grooves in this picture.

7299DSC02162-med.jpg

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7238&size=big&sort=1&cat=500

my 15 inch pug alloys are (i think) 6inches wide, i would say you need a lift to make it logical. Thats a bigger tire than i run with a 4inch lift.I noticed you said you are getting a lift. are you goin with like a 3?4?, i have a friend that runs those tires with a 3inch lift, alot and lot of cutting and pounding with a large hammer. I think MorganM runs those size tires to with a 3inch lift. You could have your hubs redrilled, it would make everything a lot easier, or you could drill out the rims themself, but it looks kind of funky with that many holes.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm gettin the AA 4/4 lift. As for the offset, I was thinkin maybe 1/4" thick Stainless washers would work as a spacer on the lugs.

The rims from Gravityman would work, but the shipping would kill me (being up here in Alaska.) Wish I was closer cuz those are good lookin rims. They'd look real GOOD on my wagon.

Wasn't someone on the board selling drilled 6 lug hubs? That might be the easiest. Being in Alaska doesnt help when trying to find pugs. I got a JY I'm going to check this week. What year of cars am I gonna find pugs on? oh yea.. snowman's got them on his ride... hehehe sounds like an anchorage theft run tonite.. lol

I'm having a hard time finding a job here, so I think this lil project is prolly gonna get put on hold. Its gonna look funny with a 4 inch lift and stock tires on it, but It'll work til I find the right rims. I just want something to allow me to run bigger tires. The tire shops here listed 190/75/13 as the biggest tire they could get me for a stock rim.

I would be deathly afraid of spacing your rims out with washers, especially with the way you drive:lol: .

The best choice would probably be redrilling early-nineties Toyota rims, which came with a variety of different backspacing specs and are pretty common.

Believe it or not, the last two times you've seen my car Kelly, its had washers on the lugs for spacers. I havent had any problems with them. I was using galvinized washers before, thats why I'm kinda leaning towards the Stainless ones.

Either way, I'm gonna have to get a bunch of money together for this rim project. I didnt realize drilling rims was illegal in most states. Seems like if a machine shop can build there own rims, I outta be able to have a machine shop drill mine out. I dunno though..

Oh yea, Anchorage guys, sorry bout not gettin back to you. We came up and were gone by the time Kelly called yesterday. Financial reasons are keepin me from spending a bunch of time up there in Anchorage since all I do is spend money when I'm up there. Thank god for divdends in a few weeks.

• 1 year later...