Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'91 Legacy sedan 2.2 turbo, trany won't shift untill warm ... $1,000 .... goood deal?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FlyB0y

FlyB0y

Apprentice to Subie Gurus

• Members
  • 855 posts
  • Marooned in Oregon City

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:53 AM

I don't know any more about my friend's can other than the title says, and I am curious if this 2.2 turbo wouldn't be a good engine to retro fit into my '85 brat ... he says after everything warms up it runs and drives fine, but the auto trany won't shift out of first while it is cold. Any idea how good of a deal couls this be? Is the problem with the trany common and easily fixed?

#2 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:24 PM

that sounds like a screaming deal. at worst you could put in a manual transmission, at best you could change the ATF & filter and drive it.

I know I've heard of at least a couple instances where someone has changed the filter and fluid on an auto trans that "needed to be replaced" and laughed all the way home.

You should buy it and put the EJ22T in your brat :D

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:23 PM

As long as the tranny doesnt slip, and the fluid isnt burnt, its worth chaingin the filter and fluid on it. It sounds like the valve body is gummed up. it may take a couple of changes to get it going, but it doesnt sound like anything horrible.

Joe

#4 FlyB0y

FlyB0y

Apprentice to Subie Gurus

• Members
  • 855 posts
  • Marooned in Oregon City

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:04 PM

Kewl!! thx for the info guys, I was thinking the same thing :D

But I got annother deal going now for a EJ22!!

'91 Legacy in the JY, 159K miles, 5 speed, has the license plate current as of june '04, and it was hit in the rear driver's side ... I can get the engine and all the electric for $150!!!!

I have annother friend who needs a daily driver, so I think I will pass on the '91 turbo to him (if it turns out that the tranny isn't too bad ;))

I think the non-turbo might be better for my brat, anyway :drunk:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users