Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV axle replacement

Hi,

I need to replace the front CV axle on my '92 Loyale wagon. I have been looking through the archives and reading my Haynes manual and I am getting confused. I need a true STEP by STEP rendition. (You guys helped me last year with my timing belts and water pump, now I tell everyone about this website! Thanks a ton!)

Okay, I have the car on a jack stand and I have the wheel off. In the Haynes manual, it says something about needing to remove the brake calipers and the brake pads and the caliper support bracket and disconnect the parking brake cable. I don't see anything in the archives about doing this and I am not sure I can identify these parts. Is that my next step?

Thanks for your help!

Dianalee

i can't give you a step by step but i can tell you that you don't need to remove the caliper and pads. i replace one on my t-wag and my haynes said the same thing. i just pulled the pinch bolt on the bottom of the control arm and the bolt that holds the cv to the hub and then i forget the rest. i don't see any reason at all the remove the pads. but my newness is still wearing off.

i can't give you a step by step but i can tell you that you don't need to remove the caliper and pads. i replace one on my t-wag and my haynes said the same thing. i just pulled the pinch bolt on the bottom of the control arm and the bolt that holds the cv to the hub and then i forget the rest. i don't see any reason at all the remove the pads. but my newness is still wearing off.

I just did this on my '87 GL. Just jack it up, set the parking brake, take the big axle nut off, and pound on the end of the axle (with a block of wood between the hammer and the axle). You have to disconnect the inside from the tranny first so it has room to go back.

What I haven't figured out yet is how to get the axle reconnected to the tranny (the engine was out when I took it off so the tranny would shift from side to side). It won't quite clear the splined transaxle shaft to go back on now that I've put the engine back in. So I've either got to take the hub off the front control arm, or loosen the engine and tranny mounts to shift it a quarter inch over.

Zeke

Thank you for asking! Actually, when I was reading the response to my post, a link to cv axle replacement PHOTOS popped up under "similar threads" at the bottom of the page. (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1046&sort=7&cat=500&page=1)

That was exactly what I needed. I don' t know why it didn't come up in my searches. It would be nice if there were someway to pull up this information than by searching, because it's hard to find the really important information that way.

Anyway, I put the new axle on and droave the car around. There is still a groaning sound when I turn corners and I'm not sure where that is coming from. (Probably I should post that as a new thread)

Dianalee