Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ultimate subaru road trip!!

You could do massive offroading of every nature (mud bogging, hill climbs, and over 150 miles of unmaintained trails) at Eureka along the way.

That would be sweet, but we could have a WRC-style rally on the Denali highway between Cantwell and Paxson. 150 miles of unmaintained gravel.....:slobber:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Matt, do you know much about the pipeline road up to Prudhoe bay? I hear that it's pretty knarly, but don't know anything about it other than that.

Something else to think about: There are two routes through British Columbia, the Alcan and the Casiar (maybe it has two s's). The Alcan is slightly longer with more services and cities along the way. The Casiar is shorter by a couple hundred miles, but not all of it is paved yet (there's a FUN 80 mile section by Dease Lake that is still gravel....all the mud on my car at WCSS7 was from that, not from offroading). For a summer trip, I'd definitely try to go at least one way on the Casiar, but in the winter the Alcan is probably safer...I'll have to check on that though, as I think most of the truck traffic goes down the Casiar, and trucks will be pretty much all you'll see during the winter.

I've got up north on lock down. I have a serious offroad trail set up. The Fairbanks to Circle Historical Trail. The Denali Rally would be the shizznit...

Either way, we need to put this into action. Either way, the alcan is the alcan.

There is roads between Anchorage and Fairbanks and Fairbanks and Valdez that are just as bad, if not worse then the alcan, so I wouldnt worry about that. The Subaru Klub of Alaska is a good group to get into. Its still small, but between me, Kelly, Matt and my buddy O'neil in Fairbanks, we'll get ya back on the road in a heartbeat

T-belts, V-belts, axles, brake pads (they like to separate from the backing plate in the cold) and you should be set.

We need to get some dates going to everyone can plan for it. We could call it the Alaska Subaru Show since you guys always have WCSS when I'm out fishing!

Hey Matt, do you know much about the pipeline road up to Prudhoe bay? I hear that it's pretty knarly, but don't know anything about it other than that.

Something else to think about: There are two routes through British Columbia, the Alcan and the Casiar (maybe it has two s's). The Alcan is slightly longer with more services and cities along the way. The Casiar is shorter by a couple hundred miles, but not all of it is paved yet (there's a FUN 80 mile section by Dease Lake that is still gravel....all the mud on my car at WCSS7 was from that, not from offroading). For a summer trip, I'd definitely try to go at least one way on the Casiar, but in the winter the Alcan is probably safer...I'll have to check on that though, as I think most of the truck traffic goes down the Casiar, and trucks will be pretty much all you'll see during the winter.

Kelly, the Haul Road is pretty desolate and the only traffic is hunters and semi drivers. Pretty unforgiving in the event of a breakdown. Little to no services and deadly cold in the winter.

Premixed anti-freeze, a plug kit and a small compressor, a can of fix-a-flat, a good sleeping bag... are necessities. Also, a good thermos for high test coffee (or a whisperlite and an espresso maker) is a help.

yeah. The only part of that drive thats worth it on the haul road, is the drive to Manley Hot Springs. Livengood is about 50 miles from there, and has AWESOME Ptarmigan hunting around those parts. Another good drive is the drive to Circle, but its only a town of about 50 people and the road is usually closed in the wintertime due to the weather.

I think it is Cassiar, but I doubt anyone cares. For winter drivin' on the Cassiar expect delays that could last for days if there is heavy snowfall. There are several places where the road passes through avalanche chutes. On the plus side the Heliboarding is cheap. The chopper pad is about 300 mi up the highway. If you do go up the Cassiar you'll have to back track to go to Liard. Lets see...there is a lot of gravel roads you can take instead of the regular highways but only in the summer. For the cold consider bringing along an intimate friend(s) nuttin' keeps you warm like pluggin' in the heater and they work well for walking to get gas. You'll also need to bring along someone who can't run very fast or is at least slower than you are because peper spray can really pi$$ of a griz.

d.

Two other logistical things to mention about Canada:

They won't let you in if you've been caught drunk driving or been accused of a felony within a certain time period (I think it's like 5 or 10 years). Most misdemeanors are okay, but if you've got a couple, contact Canada Customs beforehand just to make sure.

In order to bring guns into Canada, you must go through a complicated and expensive registration and inspection process. Handguns are completely banned. It's really not worth the bother to bring a gun. If we go anywhere where there are bears and stuff, one of the locals can bring along a gun just in case. Like has been said, just make sure you're faster than somebody you're traveling with:rolleyes: .

Also, we have a joke up here that the mosquito is Alaska's real state bird. Just something else to be prepared for if you come in the summer. They're usually worse later in the season, but they're here the whole time.

Also, we have a joke up here that the mosquito is Alaska's real state bird. Just something else to be prepared for if you come in the summer. They're usually worse later in the season, but they're here the whole time.

yea, they say that about MN too...and trust me, as someone who has been to AK twice...MN's way worse!

I don't think the acronym for the Alaska Subaru Show would look to good on a shirt. i'd still wear it though its always good to get subie swag.

So, are we thinking this winter, or next?

Will this be mostly the "offroad" old school crowd, or will we be bringing the "nice bodied" aka New subies with?

should i be getting a snowboard then?

RolloverBratboy's wife has family/friends in Ketchican, which is another city where we could find help if need be.

Ironically, i'm listening to CW Mcall's "convoy" its a sign. A sign that we will need handles, and i'm sure we all go by subie when were alone, so were gonna need to come up with new ones. I'm gonna shotgun "castle rat"

I was thinking more of the older gerneration subaru crowd. i like the new ones but its easy to drive thoes up to alaska, not a battle. and i think a group of 10 old school( pre 1990 ) subarus with lights, big tires, gas cans and racks. would look sweet. :brow:..

if any one wants to take my idea and make it happen go for it. Im not real sure i will be able to do it any time soon, just trying to finish up my last year and half of college. :cool:

snow1.jpg

Two other logistical things to mention about Canada:

They won't let you in if you've been caught drunk driving or been accused

In order to bring guns into Canada, you must go through a complicated and expensive registration and inspection process. Handguns are completely banned. It's really not worth the bother to bring a gun. If we go anywhere where there are bears and stuff, one of the locals can bring along a gun just in case. Like has been said, just make sure you're faster than somebody you're traveling with:rolleyes: .

What about Bows?

I have a cross bow that can be dissasimbled and stored in various parts of the car:rolleyes:

it would be kind of cool to bring a bow... i might go, not exactly sure, i sure hope so :). it would be a good trip for me to take since im wanting to go to colledge at the UAA. If it is like the first post says, in a year or so...then i probably can make it :), sounds like a lot of fun, i'd were one of those shirts

What about Bows?

I have a cross bow that can be dissasimbled and stored in various parts of the car:rolleyes:

If the Mounties happened across something that "looked" stashed you can bet that you would get your car back in boxes. Not worth it. If you can't stuff it into your pants, don't take it. Besides what exactly would you shoot with a crossbow? Maybe if you put a bolt into your buddies foot you could run faster than him. The only thing I take across the border is a 12 ga that is the min legal length. Once I get to Tok I buy ammo for it. This is not how I wish to deal with bears but... When hiking a gun is too heavy anyway I only take it on river trips. Just remember that as soon as you step out of your car your entering the food chain, act acordingly.

When you get there buy a fishing liscense and feast on the bounty of the earth.

d.

So have this crazy idea, im looking at doing this in the near future ( a year or so )

I want to drive my 82 subaru wagon from Washington (state) to Alaska in the winter.:banana:.... some say i may be nuts, what a challange that might be.

what do you all think. am I nuts.

Too bad you wont be ready for this winter.

My 86 tan hatch just came up from Colorado to Bellingham and its ready to cruise up to Alaska as it sits :) its got a working rear defroster so I dont really need to get anything ready!

So have this crazy idea, im looking at doing this in the near future ( a year or so )

I want to drive my 82 subaru wagon from Washington (state) to Alaska in the winter.:banana:.... some say i may be nuts, what a challange that might be.

what do you all think. am I nuts.

I found this

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0JCA/is_9_11/ai_98565519#continue

http://www.themilepost.com/faq/hwy_drivingfacts.shtml

I know from driving in anchoarge and the surrounding areas in winter (read about 70 miles out), consider your windsheild toast even before you leave your house.

Pack tea candles (its amazing how a tea candle can keep the inside of the car warm. A space blanket is easier to deal with then a sleeping bag. )

I'm thinking of doing this from NY to alaska and back once I get my case settled from my car accident (assuming we can fix my back)

Also put tires on the car that are a common brand and size. This is incase you need to replace a tire or two, it will be easy to match them up. Also a block heater and a battery heater are strongly recomended depending where in AK you are planning on going. Anchorage was "warm" in decmeber (almost the same as NY), but was informed around mid Jan is when it starts getting rough. Also get a cheap compass. My internal compass was so screwed up since there was never a real sunrise or sunset, as the sun never got high enough to give you an east/west reference.

nipper

I say we try to plan this for in the spring as its getting closer to winter and we still dont have anything planned out. Make it around Spring Break time. The snowboarding will still be good, the trails will be good and muddy.

Yea like Kelly mentioned about Canadia and their "felony" laws makes it a PITA to drive through. Felons can pass through, but there is a hefty fee.

As far as fairbanks goes, we have awesome spring time loggin roads. all dirt, good mud.

As I said earlier, a camping trip on the Fairbanks to Circle Historical trail would be good. Forest fires have cleared out a lot of that area, so we could make our own trails. :P

Check out the Alcan its a road rally that they run in feburary from seattle up to alaska. A lot of newer subarus run in it, maybe something for some of our old schoolers to hook up with. http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/cde/2004_alcan.htm

has info on on the 2004 i heard about the 2005 on npr earlier in the summer.

sweet man.... that would be sweet.... a little slow in an oldschool suby but hey. gotta represent.

If the Mounties happened across something that "looked" stashed you can bet that you would get your car back in boxes. Not worth it. If you can't stuff it into your pants, don't take it. Besides what exactly would you shoot with a crossbow? Maybe if you put a bolt into your buddies foot you could run faster than him. The only thing I take across the border is a 12 ga that is the min legal length. Once I get to Tok I buy ammo for it. This is not how I wish to deal with bears but... When hiking a gun is too heavy anyway I only take it on river trips. Just remember that as soon as you step out of your car your entering the food chain, act acordingly.

When you get there buy a fishing liscense and feast on the bounty of the earth.

d.

Found this

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4227/rc4227-e.html#P108_1917

I think a full sized crossbow is legal, a small one is not. Once I had something declared a "weapon" and it was confiscated at the Border. Much to my surprise, 5 days later when I came back, I could pick it up on the american side. I was told thats how they handle things that are leagl in the US but legal in Canada, so in theory its not something that you ate going to loose for ever.

nipper