Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel Pump noise?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ozmodiar-X

Ozmodiar-X

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Regina, SK, Canada

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:30 AM

When my car is in the 'ON' postion, but not running, i can very clearly hear the fuel pump. Is this bad? it was like that when i bought the car.

#2 nkx

nkx

Rallycross Junkie

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • Carlisle, PA

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:35 AM

i can hear mine clearly too. i would be more worried if i didnt hear it!

#3 Ozmodiar-X

Ozmodiar-X

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Regina, SK, Canada

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:38 AM

on all of my other cars i cant hear it, and they run fine, not to say that the GL doesnt run fine, but i was just curious.

#4 nkx

nkx

Rallycross Junkie

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • Carlisle, PA

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:51 AM

well if you listen very carefully you can sometimes hear it in other cars. i guess it depends on the placement of the pump and how much sound insulation there is. im pretty sure when it comes on just before you crank the engine over, its just priming the system.

#5 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:39 PM

If its a small whine, its ok. If it turns to a menacing growl, get another one.

#6 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:33 PM

i hear the fuel pump in my chevy truck and thank god

i never want to drop the tank on that bastard again

#7 Interceptor2k

Interceptor2k

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • South Bend

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:17 AM

When my car is in the 'ON' postion, but not running, i can very clearly hear the fuel pump. Is this bad? it was like that when i bought the car.

I just got done working on the fuel pump system for my '92 Loyale. The pump should only run about 2 sec with the key "on" - just enough to prime the fuel system. The ECU then tells the pump to quit until the car is started. The reason that I mention this is that people have been known to jumper / bypass the fule pump relay, which causes the pump to stay on all of the time when in the "on" position. Most cars do this for safety - in case there is an accident, the fuel pump won't keep on... Otherwise, it will not hurt anything. BTW - yes, you should be able to hear it....

#8 samo

samo

Boo.

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • The Emerald City

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:35 PM

Normal. Mine's loud too, but there's no carpet in my rig, so I can hear it clear as day back there. As explained above, it's pressurizing the lines so the car will have fuel to start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users