Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo Installation Finished!

I spent months petering away on this stereo. I wanted to keep the factory look while improving the placement of the speakers. For the front speakers I decided that the stock placement was adequate. I was told to just put speakers in the doors, which would require me to throw away the map pockets and have the speaker firing into the front seat. Since I wanted an original look I decided to build custom brackets to hold 3 inch pioneer speakers. That is outlined in this post: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38378&highlight=speakers

In the EA81 wagon, the rear speakers are mounted in the back door and fire directly into the seat coushin. This had to be remidied! I busted out the hole saw and built some speaker housings to hold 5 1/4 inch Sony xpold speakers. I had to source clean door panels to get rid of the original speaker grill and opening. Here are the pics of those:

18IMG_2137-med.jpg

18IMG_2130-med.jpg

To power the whole system a friend of mine donated a used headunit. The faceplate is partly held on with orange goo, so there was a reason it was free. This went in a slanted console from an early 80's wagon. Underneath the stereo is a guage panel that has morphed through about four generations. I know the paint doesn't match, but honestly, that was as close as I could get.

18IMG_2135-med.jpg

18IMG_2128-med.jpg

Anyway, let me know what you think!

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I tossed the dinky wagon rear door handles for a set from a sedan. I had to add a second plug in the door for the screw (The big door handles are longer), but other than that it fit in perfectly. It is MUCH more comfortable to use the armrest instead of keeping your arm in your lap.

nice looking stereo.

when i got a new HU, i had to make a spacer out of wood in order for the rca wires to fit back there without any grief. i also have a couple subs (unnessecary) and two 6x9's in a box on the back seat. i've built smaller boxes for them but not quite sure how to fit them in the car as it is a hatchback and space is limited.