Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stereo Installation Finished!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,791 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:22 PM

I spent months petering away on this stereo. I wanted to keep the factory look while improving the placement of the speakers. For the front speakers I decided that the stock placement was adequate. I was told to just put speakers in the doors, which would require me to throw away the map pockets and have the speaker firing into the front seat. Since I wanted an original look I decided to build custom brackets to hold 3 inch pioneer speakers. That is outlined in this post: http://www.ultimates...hlight=speakers

In the EA81 wagon, the rear speakers are mounted in the back door and fire directly into the seat coushin. This had to be remidied! I busted out the hole saw and built some speaker housings to hold 5 1/4 inch Sony xpold speakers. I had to source clean door panels to get rid of the original speaker grill and opening. Here are the pics of those:

Posted Image

Posted Image

To power the whole system a friend of mine donated a used headunit. The faceplate is partly held on with orange goo, so there was a reason it was free. This went in a slanted console from an early 80's wagon. Underneath the stereo is a guage panel that has morphed through about four generations. I know the paint doesn't match, but honestly, that was as close as I could get.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyway, let me know what you think!

#2 soobmater

soobmater

Got Mud?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • South Bend

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:42 PM

dude NOICE, that is kick arse!

#3 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:35 AM

Nice one. How did you get that head unit in there???

When i tried that the heater box was in the way and the head unit would have to stick out!

#4 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,791 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:13 AM

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I tossed the dinky wagon rear door handles for a set from a sedan. I had to add a second plug in the door for the screw (The big door handles are longer), but other than that it fit in perfectly. It is MUCH more comfortable to use the armrest instead of keeping your arm in your lap.

#5 erik litchy

erik litchy

Leadfoot

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Peoria IL

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:58 PM

you forgot to tell us how it sounds.

#6 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,791 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:42 PM

you forgot to tell us how it sounds.

Hahaha, I ran out of time to wire it since I had to head back up to school! I will let you guys know when its working.

#7 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:08 PM

So whats the trick in getting the HU in there???
At the moment im making an adapter for a remote face plate for mine cos there doesn't seem to be enough depth????

#8 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,791 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:11 PM

I used the slanted console from an early 80's car. At the angle its at, I think it is clearing the fan box just fine. It is also slanted more than the slant in the console if that matters.

#9 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:14 PM

Interesting, i might have to have another look at mine. CD player still work ok at that angle?

#10 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:34 PM

sweet

#11 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,939 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:22 PM

Interesting, i might have to have another look at mine. CD player still work ok at that angle?

mine always did, but hes saying he hasnt wired it yet so I dont know how he would know :)

#12 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,791 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:52 AM

Update: This system is the S**T!!! A friend and I wired in an amp and sub and it KICKS! The dinky front speakers leave me a little cold, but this is 100x better than the original 4w factory system.

#13 wesley willis

wesley willis

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • port alberni, bc, canada

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:20 PM

nice looking stereo.

when i got a new HU, i had to make a spacer out of wood in order for the rca wires to fit back there without any grief. i also have a couple subs (unnessecary) and two 6x9's in a box on the back seat. i've built smaller boxes for them but not quite sure how to fit them in the car as it is a hatchback and space is limited.

#14 soobmater

soobmater

Got Mud?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • South Bend

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:23 PM

now i just need a amp and sub!!!!!!!!

#15 1984subaru

1984subaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Perth australia

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:42 AM

I have the same prob with my HU and i was wondering wat yr and model sub u used for the console coz my HU falls out every time i put my foot down. (it S**TS me off)

#16 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,791 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:21 PM

I believe that they are out of 80 to 81 GLs, but don't quote me on that.

#17 FirstSubaruGLwagon

FirstSubaruGLwagon

YHWH is life

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Wilmington

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:24 PM

Fits nicely:clap:

mine looks like crap:-\

#18 PeterD

PeterD

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 562 posts
  • Renton/Cheney ( EWU )

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:08 PM

looks good. this is how i did mine.

yes the heater box is in the way and i had to use this hunk of wood to bring the cd player out.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users