Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 engine for offroad prob

I have an ej22 engine in my hatch that is my offroader. Since having the head gaskets replaced i have noticed that doing some of the more extream water crossings i find that the car develeops a loud lifter noise for about a minute after i come out of the crossing.

I have noticed that my timing belt covers are in not as good condition as before with some small cracks and gaps.

Could this problem be caused by water getting into the timing belt cover and interfearing with the electronically adjusted timing in some way or something more sinister??

Thanks in advance

Dave

The connectors under the hood are fairly robust and can withstand a good dunking. If you are worried about ti you can put greas in the exposed connector ends or die electric grease to water broof them. Is it possible your sucking in water?

A loud lifter noise after gooing through deep water. The other way of looking at it is that the car is suddenly cooled off by going through deep water. Maybe the valve clearances arent set right?

You are saying you get loud lifter tick?

nipper

SO basically your speeding along, then you get in a deep puddle. you push thru the puddle, then for a minute the lifter noise is loud then goes away. Does it do the same Thing on a steep climb? I'm thinking if it is truly a lifter tick, Is there any other time it may do it? It can be something like a tired lifter, when the engine rpm suddenly drops under load, and the conditions are right, it just doesnt pump up like it should. Do you have a oil pressure gauge on the car? thats where I would start, and make sure its not an oil system issue.

nipper

Does it after a slow crawl though water about 2 foot deep. It has only done it once before without touching water... and that was starting it up one morning when it was cold. But nothing other than in water for the last month.

I thought ej22 lifters were hydrolically adjusted automatically... i could be way off on that.

Also i don;t have an oil guage but maybe that should be one of the next things i install.

Dave