Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Quick 4EAT trans question, AWD cars...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Lee

Adam Lee

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Alexandria

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:28 AM

Alright, gotta leave in a minute to take my 3rd graders to recess.

I want to swap my old 4EAT/AWD tranny from my car for a 5spd eventually, but I have a good lead on an inexpensive JDM trans I could just r&r.

Anyone have any experience with these used take-out jap domestic model parts packs?

I've heard they are all low-mileage.

Would the internal diffs be a completely different ratio than my USA 4EAT?

thanks!
Adam

#2 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:53 PM

it could be a nightmare. You need so many small parts it could make you crazy.
Check out Josh's website, he did the job himself and has a lot of good pointers.
I have driven a number of JDM cars in New Zealand after retirement from the domestic market. The mechanicals are usually in pretty good shape.

#3 Adam Lee

Adam Lee

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Alexandria

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:27 PM

That last post I wrote was in terms of just popping in a good used JDM 4x4 low-mile tranny until I find a donor 5spd 4x4 body for my ultimate project.

Price is right, and at least I can roll the dice and take advantage of the (brief) warranty period.

I'll be interested in seeing what the innards of the extension housing look like compared to my well-worn unit.

Anyway, the next adventure will be a pretty straightforward plug-n-play, maybe if I'm having a cognizant day I'll take some documentary footage. Could be fun...

Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users