Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Front axle dissasembly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hatch4x4

hatch4x4

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 308 posts
  • Woodinville, WA

Posted 25 September 2003 - 01:26 AM

I'm trying to take apart a front axle so I can use just the stub that holds the wheel on but I can't figure out how to get the damn thing apart. Any help?

-- Jeff

#2 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 4,000 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 25 September 2003 - 04:21 AM

If memory serves me correctly, the inner joint is held onto the shaft by a circlip, it will pop-off with a strike from a hammer and punch. The outer joint is held on with a external snap-ring, you have to disassemble the joint itself to get to the snap-ring, that's a real PITA!!!! I prefer to just beat the thing off of the axle, it was junk anyway, right?! Put the axle on the floor with joint at it's most extreme angle, then whack it with the hammer. The inner cage should break in 2-3 blows. Just be mindfull of where your ankle and shins are located when doing this, could be painfull......

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,562 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 25 September 2003 - 11:35 AM

the haynes manual will say the outer half of the axle is non serviceable. i couldnt get it apart. the way tom describe you will have to break it to get it apart!

but if its just an axle stub to hold a wheel on, whats the hurt in that?

#4 hatch4x4

hatch4x4

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 308 posts
  • Woodinville, WA

Posted 25 September 2003 - 01:21 PM

Thanks Tom, I laid a shop towel over it to control the blast area and it worked great. I did however manage to get a glob of axle grease in my eye :brow: from one of the hammer blows. This was with a shop towel over it, so for anyone else attempting this, wear safety glasses!! It did wash out safely although I was a little freaked out at the time.

-- Jeff

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 25 September 2003 - 02:09 PM

axle grease in the eye! LOL

GD

#6 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 4,000 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 26 September 2003 - 04:11 AM

Getting stuff in your eye sucks, even if it is just grease. I have to wear glasses just to be able to see, so I don't even think of needing safety glasses. One should always wear eye protection when working on the rides. On another note...Yes, the outer joint is called none servicable, but it can be disassembled. It's just a major PITA to do so. I have rebuilt them in the past, but don't reccommend it to anyone. Major, Total PITA......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users