Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front axle dissasembly

If memory serves me correctly, the inner joint is held onto the shaft by a circlip, it will pop-off with a strike from a hammer and punch. The outer joint is held on with a external snap-ring, you have to disassemble the joint itself to get to the snap-ring, that's a real PITA!!!! I prefer to just beat the thing off of the axle, it was junk anyway, right?! Put the axle on the floor with joint at it's most extreme angle, then whack it with the hammer. The inner cage should break in 2-3 blows. Just be mindfull of where your ankle and shins are located when doing this, could be painfull......

Thanks Tom, I laid a shop towel over it to control the blast area and it worked great. I did however manage to get a glob of axle grease in my eye :brow: from one of the hammer blows. This was with a shop towel over it, so for anyone else attempting this, wear safety glasses!! It did wash out safely although I was a little freaked out at the time.

-- Jeff

Getting stuff in your eye sucks, even if it is just grease. I have to wear glasses just to be able to see, so I don't even think of needing safety glasses. One should always wear eye protection when working on the rides. On another note...Yes, the outer joint is called none servicable, but it can be disassembled. It's just a major PITA to do so. I have rebuilt them in the past, but don't reccommend it to anyone. Major, Total PITA......