Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
Swapping an 86 EA82 into a 84 Gl wagon EA81
Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:19 PM
Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:01 PM
I've done this very swap to my 82 DL wagon using an 87 carb motor. Apart from the steering wheel being on the other side (I'm in Australia) it should be mostly the same.
I had to re-drill the plates that hold the mounts to the engine so the mounts sit a bit further back. Also, I had to cut & shut both chassis rails as the EA82 is a much wider motor. I had to cut all the way back to clear the distributor on the LH side.
Wiring couldn't have been easier, took 5 minutes at the most to do. In hindsight I'd have moved the coil to the LH side, at the moment I have the world's longest coil lead stretched across my engine bay, wasting precious spark.
Top & bottom radiator hoses needed to be custom. I used a top hose from a 2.5 diesel Mitsubishi Triton as my top hose, and a top hose from a 1.3 Toyota Echo as my bottom hose. Depending on availability you might need to run something else.
Heater hoses also had to be custom, I bought some "Unicoils", put them on some standard heater hose and bent them into shape.
Since I was already running the 5spd EA82 gearbox, I used a stock clutch and a stock flywheel.
Stock throttle cable, stock exhaust headers (EA81), stock axles, stock radiator. Been 3 months now and no worries.
Oh, the car has 3" of lift too, and one of my lift blocks had to be modified as it was fouling on the motor.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users