Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing a viscous coupling

Hi, I'm a newcomer, with a 2001 Outback with manual transmission with 80k miles. It looks like I may have to replace the viscous coupling. Any idea how much this may cost?

For the past few months, I noticed a shudder in the front wheels when making slow speed sharp turns, like when pulling into a parking lot. It only happened after driving for 1/2 hour or more. No problem when cold. It got really bad on a recent trip after all day of driving, so I took it to the dealer. They replaced the front CV axles ($$). Still had the problem.

I then went on the internet, and found out about the visous coupling.

Sure enough, I jacked up one of the front tires, and tried to turn it. When cold, it turned with no problem. After driving for 1/2 hour, I could barley turn it, and I could hear noises when it turned. Same thing for the other three tires.

My first step was to check the tire circumferences. One was 1/2 inch more than the others, bigger than Subaru's 1/4 inch spec. (I had replaced it earlier this year after an unrepairable flat). So I had it shaved to match the others. Still no better.

My next step will be to change the center differential/transmission oil, in a last gasp hope that it will help, before I make the big step of replacing the viscous coupling.

How much ($$) will that VC replacement cost?

Any commnets will be appreciated. This time I want to go in informed.

Thanks from outdoor

Hi, I'm a newcomer, with a 2001 Outback with manual transmission with 80k miles. It looks like I may have to replace the viscous coupling. Any idea how much this may cost?

For the past few months, I noticed a shudder in the front wheels when making slow speed sharp turns, like when pulling into a parking lot. It only happened after driving for 1/2 hour or more. No problem when cold. It got really bad on a recent trip after all day of driving, so I took it to the dealer. They replaced the front CV axles ($$). Still had the problem.

I then went on the internet, and found out about the visous coupling.

Sure enough, I jacked up one of the front tires, and tried to turn it. When cold, it turned with no problem. After driving for 1/2 hour, I could barley turn it, and I could hear noises when it turned. Same thing for the other three tires.

My first step was to check the tire circumferences. One was 1/2 inch more than the others, bigger than Subaru's 1/4 inch spec. (I had replaced it earlier this year after an unrepairable flat). So I had it shaved to match the others. Still no better.

My next step will be to change the center differential/transmission oil, in a last gasp hope that it will help, before I make the big step of replacing the viscous coupling.

How much ($$) will that VC replacement cost?

Any commnets will be appreciated. This time I want to go in informed.

Thanks from outdoor

If your viscous coupling has failed; don't bother changing the fluid; it won't help. I'm surprised a dealer mis-diagnosed this. We're your axles dead-ie. cv boots blown open or clicking? The viscous coupling can be changed without removing the transmission. All you have to do is remove the rear extension housing. We ususally charge between 4 and 6 hours. Good luck.

If your viscous coupling has failed; don't bother changing the fluid; it won't help. I'm surprised a dealer mis-diagnosed this. We're your axles dead-ie. cv boots blown open or clicking? The viscous coupling can be changed without removing the transmission. All you have to do is remove the rear extension housing. We ususally charge between 4 and 6 hours. Good luck.

Mine cost about $950. That was at the dealer. The independent shop A. wasn't too sure about how to do it and B. figured to charge me about $1200.

I can't give you a dollar number, but it really depends on how swift the people doing the work are. You could do it with out pulling the trans completely. That would save several hours of labor and at something like $50 an hour that adds up. The center diff can be accessed by dropping the exhaust, the drive shaft, and then dropping the rear cross member for the trans while supporting it. Then all they have to do is tilt the back of the tranny down and unbolt the rear case section and out comes the diff.

Thanks for all the replies.

Color-blind: I have no idea if the CV's were dead, or even looked at the boots. The dealer said they were worn, and that should take care of the problem. Its possible that the VC didn't do them any good, but I'm hoping for some kind of deal when I have the VC replaced. And I won't waste my money on a fluid change.

I think that the problem lies with Subaru. They need to provide more information to the dealers and to the customers. For example, the 1/4 inch spec on the tire circumference is not in my manual. I had to track it down in the subaru web page after I found out about the issue elsewhere. And the dealer didn't check it either.