Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL-10 Turbo A/C belt tensioner pt #

Guest rabin

Guest rabin

Hi all,

I am trying to replace the A/C belt tensioner with a new part - local dealer says they can't find it. They called Subaru Canada and they don't list it either.

This is the tensioner that bolts to the alt bottom bracket, has a nut at the pivot point with a bolt that goes through it to the bracket. Loosen bolt, use nut to tension the A/C belt, then lock down bolt - that thing

I don't think that's right so I thought I'd ask here if anyone has the part number or knows how to get it.

I tried the wreckers, but have not found a smooth turning one and I'm tired of looking.

Thanks much!

Guest electryc monk

We just re tapped the unit for a piecew of standard threadd rod and then used two nuts and two washers for braising at the top of the threaded rod and then it worked for me.

Guest Dennis

i think i have a good one if you are interested...

the car will run fine without the idler/tensioner in place, the compressor just wont run because itll slip with one belt on it...

Guest OH Noah

You can get a new bearing for it at NAPA. I think I even got mine at a cheaper parts store. The bearing was held in place by a spring clip, and was pretty easy to replace. I believe I paid $10-$12 for it.