Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is that S@#t on my windshield?

Hey Everyone,

Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question.

I bought my '98 Legacy L back in May. I noticed when it rained the water just beaded right off the windshield. It doesn't do that now and when there's rain or a lot of moisture in the air there's a haze on the outside of the windshield that does not whipe off...what is that? It only goes away when the windshield dries completely. Is that the original beading product going bad? More importantly....how do I get it off! I've noticed the same thing on my parents impreza and it's very annoying/dangerous when it's dark and this haze is on the windshield....the light from oncoming cars streaks up the entire windshield. I've tried soap and water, the squeegies at gas stations with no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Urban Coyote

Hey Everyone,

I bought my '98 Legacy L back in May. I noticed when it rained the water just beaded right off the windshield. It doesn't do that now and when there's rain or a lot of moisture in the air there's a haze on the outside of the windshield that does not whipe off...what is that? It only goes away when the windshield dries completely. Is that the original beading product going bad? More importantly....how do I get it off! I've noticed the same thing on my parents impreza and it's very annoying/dangerous when it's dark and this haze is on the windshield....the light from oncoming cars streaks up the entire windshield. I've tried soap and water, the squeegies at gas stations with no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Urban Coyote

Perhaps a previous owner applied Rain-X to the windshield. To remain effective, it has to be periodically re-applied. To remove the product completely, clean the glass with plenty of denatured alcohol and paper towels. Then use Windex to remove any remaining "haze".

it could be the inside of your windshield that's dirty, mine does that, and i have to clean the crap out of the inside.....

Nope, it's not on the inside....definitely the outside. If the wiper blades are a bit bamp and the glass is dry and pass over the windshield they reveal this haze. It's very strange, my old Suby had the windshield replaced and I never had anything like this occuring.

UC

Hey Everyone,

Thanks!

Urban Coyote

Try some Dawn or Joy dishwashing liquid. If that does not help, try some alcohol. If that does not help VERY CAREFULLY wipe the windshield down with some acetone. (NOTE!, acetone can quickly destroy most painted surfaces!) The windshield either has some wax or 'clear coat' on it or some type of 'road film' grime .

Carl

Nope, it's not on the inside....definitely the outside. If the wiper blades are a bit bamp and the glass is dry and pass over the windshield they reveal this haze. It's very strange, my old Suby had the windshield replaced and I never had anything like this occuring.

UC

Yes, Rain-X is a product applied to the outside of the windshield to make water bead up. It improves wet-weather visability. But the application only lasts a short time; it looses effectiveness and causes the glass to "haze" over when wet. You may want to simply remove the remainder of the product with denatured alcohol first, followed by Windex.

Yes, Rain-X is a product applied to the outside of the windshield to make water bead up. It improves wet-weather visability. But the application only lasts a short time; it looses effectiveness and causes the glass to "haze" over when wet. You may want to simply remove the remainder of the product with denatured alcohol first, followed by Windex.

Awesome, thanks guys!

Quick question....will water and vinegar do the trick? I don't have any denatured alcohol on hand and I've tried dish soap with no luck.

UC

If you've never tried Rain-X, you might wanna get a bottle and keep the application fresh ...you just might get hooked. :)

Granted, the hazing is a part of using it and turns some people off, but IMO the water-shedding properties of the stuff make it worthwhile.

As long as I clean and re-apply every three week or so, I don't have to use wipers at all. The effective driving speed required to move the water off gradually increases as the film deteriorates.

If you've never tried Rain-X, you might wanna get a bottle and keep the application fresh ...you just might get hooked. :)

Granted, the hazing is a part of using it and turns some people off, but IMO the water-shedding properties of the stuff make it worthwhile.

As long as I clean and re-apply every three week or so, I don't have to use wipers at all. The effective driving speed required to move the water off gradually increases as the film deteriorates.

"I'm sorry officer, but my Rain-X is very old!"

lol!

I have Rain-X washer fluid in my car. It works great, and it was the winter mix. Since I filled it up last winter, I haven't run out of the fluid yet! It does a great job keeping the windsheild clear. When the Rain-X looses its effectiveness, just a quick squirt on the washer fluid and a few wipes later it's back to normal.

Any recommendations for cleaning the inside of a windshield? I got some grime built up on it, and it produces a haze that shows when driving towards the sun in the morning. I want something to clean off the grime and have anti-fog properties for the winter time as well.

RC!

We use basically the same stuff as Rain-X on the center windscreen on A-10s. It has to be reapplied/renewed every 50 flying hours, which probably averages about once a month or so. That should give you an idea how durable it is and how often you'll have to reapply it. He he, but don't expect your windshield to become bulletproof, too.

One problem, with a full load of ammo, the gun and ammo drum are bigger than the average Suby, and considerably heavier. Would make for an incredible defense and escape system though. Cuz' mounted to your Suby the recoil of a short burst (about 65 bullets per 1 second burst, each weighing about a pound) will send you backward with thrust equal to about 6 times the weight of your car. So, by the time the bad guy you were defending against, or his surviving friends, get up to look for you. You'll be long gone, at a very high rate of speed in reverse!! Kind of like a crawdad in escape mode, just more noisy and deadly!! LOL

The product you are asking about is from PPG and it is called Aquapel. They say 6 months. We have tested it and it is mostly true. All depends on the elements you are exposed to, where you live, driving habits, etc. Rain-X is no comparison to Aquapel! Since it came out about 4 years ago, it has always been a professionally applied system only. About 2 months ago, PPG announced they are now going to sell it direct to the public in single application packs. Talked to my PPG rep about 3 weeks ago and he said it is slowly becoming available at Auto Parts stores.

Aquapel Website:http://www.ppg.com/gls_aquapel/default.htm

PPG/Tire Rack Press Release: http://www.glassbytes.com/newsaquapel20050317.htm

Your problem with your windshield I agree is Rain-X. We see this all the time! Rain-X is silicone based. Problem is the build up of the silicone. Once it stops working, the silicone remains on the glass causing the streaking. Every time you install more Rain-X, the thicker the layer of silicone that remains. On the other hand, Aquapel is Flouropolymer based which has been found to as effective without the side effects and build up of the silicone.

The product you are asking about is from PPG and it is called Aquapel. They say 6 months. We have tested it and it is mostly true. All depends on the elements you are exposed to, where you live, driving habits, etc. Rain-X is no comparison to Aquapel! Since it came out about 4 years ago, it has always been a professionally applied system only. About 2 months ago, PPG announced they are now going to sell it direct to the public in single application packs. Talked to my PPG rep about 3 weeks ago and he said it is slowly becoming available at Auto Parts stores.

Aquapel Website:http://www.ppg.com/gls_aquapel/default.htm

PPG/Tire Rack Press Release: http://www.glassbytes.com/newsaquapel20050317.htm

Your problem with your windshield I agree is Rain-X. We see this all the time! Rain-X is silicone based. Problem is the build up of the silicone. Once it stops working, the silicone remains on the glass causing the streaking. Every time you install more Rain-X, the thicker the layer of silicone that remains. On the other hand, Aquapel is Flouropolymer based which has been found to as effective without the side effects and build up of the silicone.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all the input and advice! It's been really helpful...I thought I was going to have to look through a haze windshield forever! I tried a weak solution of vinegar and water and the results have been wonderful so far. About half of the Rain-X buildup has been romoved and with another cleaning I hope to get it all off.

I'm interested in trying the Aquapel. I hate driving at night in the rain and not being able to see the road clearly. Is it available in Canada?

Thanks

UC