Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'89 Loyal Timing belt alignment - engine already pulled

Need a bit of help with changing the timing belts in the engine from an '89 Loyal...

Can I change the timing belts on a 1.8 FI while the engine is out of the car? I've already pulled the engine. The instructions in the book says to line up timing marks on the flywheel. And since the engine's out of the car, I can't do that procedure. Suggestions?

Thanks so much for any ideas!

Is there any way to get original factory service instructions to do the timing belt change on a '89 1.8 Subaru? I've never done a change where there are two timing belts and my Hayne's manual doesn't give me enough information to give me confidence.

Thanks!

I think this is the one you have to put the one belt on, then rotate the crankshaft a whole turn, and then put the other one on... At least on my '85 EA82 it was. The chilton's does mention this if you read carefully (I didn't, and it ran like crap on two cylinders......).:banghead: If you follow directions well, it's not as difficult as it seems at first.

i don't know about the key, but i'd install the flywheel and go from there. it's straight forward, the 1.8's are very easy. line up flywheel mark on bellhousing (you can bolt this stuff on with motor out). with the flywheel mark lined up, line up the drivers side cam sprocket mark. then rotate the crank 360 degrees (one full revolution) and bring the mark on the flywheel back to the top and line it up again. at this point your drivers side belt you just installed will be pointing down. now line up the passengers side cam sprocket and install that timing belt. the two cams are 180 degrees off. rotate the engine around and check the marks again. when the each cam is lined up with the notch, the flywheel mark should be dead on. verify that before going any further, it's easy to get a tooth off and not notice.

Snowman - Thanks! I would like to have that section of the FSM to download.

I'll be honest with you. I think I'm more afraid of this timing belt issue than I need to be, but the fact that I've never done an engine with 2 timing belts makes me uncomfortable and I can't quite make sense out of the instructions I do have. Thanks, PW

I can email you the engine section of the 89 FSM in two parts if you want.