Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, there are approximately 450 NY'ers registered...

So there are over 450 registered NY'ers here on this board. Much to my surprise, 90% of them have 0-3 posts!!! I found about 5-6 people in my immediate area (meaning within 5 minutes), have 0-2 posts, and all seem to have joined between December and January (and haven't posted since). I am just in awe that there are so many NY people here ,and even quite a few here in the Hudson Valley that rarely/never post!

Anyhow, quite hiding and start posting! :D Wussies....

what paper are you talking about?

Are you talking about the Rally-X a couple weeks ago or RallyNY this weekend? The one this weekend is definately NOT a RallyX. It is a full fledged rally with stages and everything...last I heard over 60 cars were entered.

Glad to hear you have one of the 360's, if you ever decide to sell it you better PM me so I can check it out!

Kevin

What I've seen is that people from the northeast will look in for info but not get involved.Feel used?:lol: That's what the difference is between us and the west coast.People here don't romance old Subarus because they have to be realistic.I've said this for nearly 30 years,Subarus are the Bic lighters of cars.Use them and toss them away.There's always another one coming.That's the theory I live by untill one comes along that's worth holding onto,like my '78 wagon,and the latest '82 GLF.

Good luck roping New Yorkers.:)

What I've seen is that people from the northeast will look in for info but not get involved.

Fair enough. Here's one New Yorker (upstate NY anyway) who's gonna try to get more involved...

Hey all, my name is Ryan. I live in Mineville, NY (about an hour south of Plattsburgh, 2 hrs. north of Albany). Yes, I am one of the few NE folks that is truly romantic about subes. I've got two hatchbacks. One is a stock cherry VA. hatch I got from another board member over the summer and the other is a lifted/swampered NY rust bucket that is about to get an EJ motor transplant. I've also got an OBS, which is great, but well not quite as unique as a hatchback around here.

So anyway, I'm doing the EJ swap on that hatch, and I've gotten tons of info from the board, so as I work on it I'm going to try to share as much as possible, to give back if I can at all...

So consider me out of the closet :)

Later

Ryan

derrick in potsdam new york with tons of xt6 parts, an actual non-rusted xt6 (!!!) and a '91 legacy wagon.........

you're pretty damn close to me Ryan.. that's cool

we definately need to get more NY stuff going (guess I need to get my cars going)

<edit> WOAH Ryan's in Port Henry.... my girlfriend's sister just moved to Essex and we go down there quite often.. we'll have to hookup sometime while the women are out shopping in burlington

Please join us at our off roading meets in the Pine Barrens,NJ.

Also,let us know if you guys have an off roading (light duty is fine) spot and maybe we can make the trip north.

Be sure to check the Meet 'n Greet Forum and I hope to see you guys start your own meet,hopefully somewhere with a little off roading or even joining in a TSD Rally would be cool.

Pine Barrens is fun.Sandy trails for the most part but we make it exciting,or can,with speed.There's some water fun and a spot or two you can test something lifted should you have a high roller.No real rock crawling.It's fairly flat down in southern Jersey.One look from the tower we went up and I thought we were in Kansas.....FLAT.Could see Philly in the distance and I guess Atlantic City...anyhow,just wetting your whistle,stop down if you can.

There's definitely momentum building on the east coast.Less snobs,more people leaving oil spots.:headbang: It's not that there's no Subaru,that's for sure.It's just that now people are starting to see the value of keeping the older ones going longer instead of just turning them over like when everybody was raking in the money.Looking like those days are sidetracked for a lot of us here.That's when you really get to be involved.We've got a great group in the PA/NJ/NY/New England area and we've helped each other bigtime and pretty much always had fun doing it.

Cheers!

I am 3 minutes from the NY boarder...and I lived in Albany for 3 years....so does that count???:grin: I still have a NY drivers licence!

Hey...I romance my Subaru!!..Everyone knows how much I adore my Loyale. But thats basically cause I can't afford to get anything newer or better...and its just been toooooo reliable.

I saw my first "lifted" Subaru last Sat...Jessie's Legacy...It was too cool too. I wish to someday have a 4WD Sube so I can play offroad too like the rest of you...but I am not ready to give up my gas mileage yet.Getting an extra 4-5 miles per gallon now BTW!!

Nice coversation we have going here :)

On a side note, I saw a 88-94 Subaru tonight with huge lights bolted on the roof. You were parked behind me a ways, in the pitch dark, sitting without lights on or anything. I saw you. Regardless of Subaru or not, dude, don't do that...that is really wierd ok? If I hadn't just finished working a 12 hour day between two jobs I may have walked up to you, but truthfully, I wasn't in the mood. Sorry.

will most definately do that.. I've never seen a lifted soob in person (so sue me, we're in the NE)

Don't feel bad, I'm pretty sure the only lifted soob I've ever seen living up here is my own! :lol:

Unfortunately at the moment the only thing lifting my soob are four jackstands... It's almost completely dissassembled at the moment, but it won't be like that forever, just long enough to do a real deal rust repair + rust proofing job. Just one more big patch in the cargo area and then it's por15 time. Then I can get on with the fun stuff. i.e. EJ22 swap which is like 90% ready to go as soon as I get done f-ing with the d*mn rust :banghead:

Anyway, I'de like to check out Pine Barrens sometime. Not many jeep/soob trails where I live. Everyone here rides ATVs... though my hatch is actually small enough to take some of the ATV/Snowmobile trails. I'm definately more into trail-riding and mudding my sube. Never tried any major rock-crawling.

Derrick, do you know any decent pull-a-part yards up here? The only one with old soobs I've been able to find is in hardwick - northeastern VT. Seems most places I call have crushed everything from the Loyales back... So it would be cool to meet-up for a junkyard run sometime if you know of any good ones. Oh and BTW, I've got a 93 legacy wagon (donor car for my EJ22) if you need any parts. It came with a nice tow hitch, I listed that here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43618&highlight=legacy+tow+hitch

I never thought it was anyone that posted here on a regular basis, at most I think it was a lurker or something. Anyhow, moving on...

Just to let you guys know, the International RallyNY was great! Check the New Gen forum for a short pictoral tour of the weekend. There were NO old gen subies there...the oldest were the 1991 or so turbo Legacys! Next one is in April, although it may not be as large (53 cars) it will still have quite a good turnout!

Kevin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know the feeling (lonely NY'ers)... according to Frapper, there's two other guys within a ten minute drive of me. One I think I know, who's into the fast side of Subaru's (WRX, STI, etc.), and the other I have no idea about. KevinSubaru's probably the next closest... 75subie is rather close, too. There aren't many of us.

I wouldn't mind hitting a rally event later this year... and Pine Barrows is on my list of gotta-get-there's, too. Wife's got a conference in April that I hope won't conflict, but nothing else has priority, now that I've got an actual up 'n' runnin' Subie.