Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25 into 78 Brat

lvsubaru

I've done several searches, but can not find any details.

I have a 78 Brat, and I have a spare EJ25 with harness, ECU, and sub-frame.

Do I need to modify the frame to get the EJ25 to fit? Can I use the orignal sub-frame? Or do I have to use the new one? I'm planning on using a late model 5 speed, and rear end. I know I have to get a driveshaft made, but what about the axles? Will they fit?

Thanks.

there is a brat in AU running a ej20 sti motor. its had alot of fabing done on it and what not.....

as for the motor fitting without any mods.well if the quad cam ej25 is the same as the single cam 2.2 size wise then i can tell you on sundaynight:grin:

but looking at it you will probaly have to. some frame mods.....

if i were you i would sell that crapy 2.5 (all 2.5's are in my opion since they blow headgaskets as much as ea82ts, and have piston slap probables clutch shuder problems. ect...) anyway then you could get a front clip from a jap wrx front clip and do a turbo swap. .........

I've seen pics of a Brat with a STi motor, but there is no good pics of frame mods.

My EJ25 is a SOHC.

I bought a STi V.4 RA front clip for my 93 Impreza, I was thinking about doing the same for the Brat.

I just need to talk with somebody who has done it already.

other than the brat, would any neewer cars need frame mods? i want to try to fit in a 01' 2.5 in my rx but i dont wanna do fram mods so as to pass ref inspection. can it be done? also if i interchange with aaany ej and wanted to also swap the tranny, what else needs work? i know driveshaft but wat about diff? axles? im lost with that part

ive got pix of my test fitment of an ej22, in the other post here in the retrofit fourm. you can get an idea of what you will half to do to fit the 2.5 probably going to have to noch the fram a bit more then i will as the single cam 2.2 wont take up as much room as the 2cam ej2.5,

you will have to widen your motor mount holes, i did it with a drill and a file. had to widen mine 1/2 in on each side. i test fit with ej motor mounts they worked grate.. will probably get some sti mounts to keep motor movement down...

also the rad will fit but you will have to get pusher fans. as there will only be about 1in between the crank pully and the rad,,,,

later

Sweet!

I'll let you guys know how it goes.