Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rebuilding the d/r 5speed

Guest thealleyboy

Guest thealleyboy

Has anyone ever tried rebuilding one of these? This one came out of an 87 4wd wagon, about 135k. Supposedly has no reverse. I guess there is an easy fix, but I know absolutely nothing about the inner workings of manual trannys.

Can you tell I'm getting desperate? They are hard to come by around here. If it is not worth the time and expense, someone please give it to me straight.

thanks, John

Guest palionsub

I had two once, I thought that I would make a good on out of the two. Unfortunately, I couldn't get either case apart, even with a BFH>, so I gave up and found a good one. So I vote for too much trouble.

Guest Hondasucks

If you have a factory service manual, or a manual that covers disassembling the transmission, it shouldnt' be that hard if you are mechanically inclined.

Guest Scubaru

Hey, I'm thinking of doing that too. I got a d/r 5spd from the junk yard. Problem is, I let it roll around in the bed of the brat on the way home. I found the dipstick handle but not the actual stick. So, I think it's in the tranny somewhere. So, I'll probably be opening it up sometime. I'll let you know what I find.

-Jim

Guest Adam N.D.J.

It can be a real pain the arse to do. There is a specific order that you have to pull the bolts, pins, ect. You really have to take your time, and use a lot of patients. Also label EVERYTHING and use lots of little baggies, and pie tins to keep everything in order. The 5's aren't as bad the 4's so your in a little luck. Also make sure you get a good manual that actually covers every aspect of disassembly (not haynes or shiltons), cause like I said, there is an order to it all. Lotsa luck to ya. Catch ya Laters.

Guest thealleyboy

Adam:

Do you know anything about the supposed "easy fix" for reverse?

Is there anything about the way they are designed/assembled that would cause reverse gear to fail prematurely?

thanks, John