Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where Can I Find Split Boot Cv's

I NEED A OUTER SPLIT BOOT FOR MY CV ON MY EA82 SPFI WAGON"92".

ALL THE STORES IN SALEM DONT SELL THE SPLIT BOOT OR THEY DO AND ITS ONLY FOR A FRONT WHEEL DRIVE OR A VIN # STARTING IN #4, MY CAR VIN IS #5 GRRRRRRRR.

WHERE CAN I FIND A BOOT PLEASE , THE BOOT JUST SPLIT AND IF I REPLACE THE BOOT NOW I WONT HAVE TO REMOVE THE ENTIRE AXLE AND REPLACE IT .

WHY DIDNT SUBARU MAKE THE OUTERS SERVICABLE?

:banghead:

I think they are called quick boots. They really are only a temp fix. While you can put them on properly and people have used them for extended periods of time they will not last nearly as long as a good boot.

I would almost suggest making a day of it and just doing it right :/

Depends on the quality of the split boot, and how it's installed. We (US ARMY) use split boots all the time on the bigger trucks. Hummer's don't use them, but duece's and 5 tons do. One thing we discovered on those - they have a zipper for the split, and it's best to cover the whole zipper on the outside with RTV - keeps them from unzipping, and keeps the dirt out.

GD

Pep Boys carries the split boots.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with trying to repair one that ripped unless you caught it as soon as it happened. Even then, you would want to clean out as much grease as possible, and repack with new grease. Any moisture trapped in there will cause your axle to wear out quickly.

good luck, John

Jack up the body on that side, pull the wheel, the big nut in the center, the inner roll pin, and seperate the lower ball joint from the spindel. Then put a big pice of wood over the end of the axle and smak it with a big hammer. Install in reverse.

Or just use a roll of seran wrap and wrap the CV with that:drunk: ( not that I'm STILL driving around on my trail fix or any thing:-p )

I too was informed the only diff. in axles was 2WD and 4WD. And that is only the main half shaft itself? So the splines and CVs are all the same?

I guess remaned axle assemblies come with a smaller (32mm) castle nut. Is there any other differences between those two I wonder?

Dont know a whole lout about these axles but I have a feeling I'll need to get to know them very well...

Originally posted by MorganM

I too was informed the only diff. in axles was 2WD and 4WD. And that is only the main half shaft itself? So the splines and CVs are all the same?

I guess remaned axle assemblies come with a smaller (32mm) castle nut. Is there any other differences between those two I wonder?

Observations from personal experience:

My 2wd and 4wd axles had the same diameter shafts. but, given the age of the soobs I have had, its doubtful any were original.. so the axles could have come from anywhere.

None of the remans I have bought ever came with castle nuts.. so all of my nuts are 36mm(deez some big nutz:brow: )

All auto and N/A manual are 23 spline. Turbo manual is 25 spline.. also found that out the hard way:rolleyes:

You might find split boots at Oregon Drive Axle in Tigard. They do an excellent rebuild and might just change out the boot (with a real one) if you bring them the axle. I don't recommend the split boot; they are a real pain to do and really don't last more than 5K miles anyway. Once you have the axle out, you can replace the inner and outer boots with "real" ones (DOJ end comes off and then you can do both boots properly).

I agree with the crowd that sez to stay away from the split boots. Been there, tried that..what a waste of time.

Figure this: the cost of the split is what, about 15 or 20 bucks? Add to that the price of the grease, and your time and hassle (and the MESS) of cleaning the joint, all for something that probably won't work or last if you are successful. Do yourself a favor and get an axle for a few bucks more, about 55 bucks or so.