Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problems with an EJ25

I have a 1997 subaru legacy with the 2.5

Here in Lousisiana it is extremely hard to get parts for my car since subaru didn't become popular down here until they turned out the WRX. My car is canadian built with a jap motor in it. There was a company in Canada that I was dealing with for performance parts but they closed down. First of all does anyone know of good shops/websites for this vehicle? I am looking to make a stang killer out of my legacy. I figure 300-500 hp. I have already installed a lightened flywheel, stage 1 clutch, a cold air intake of a impreza that I modified and an aftermarket exhaust. I have street cams that I bought for it and I am having the heads C&C machined next week. The guy porting the heads for me told me there would be no point in boring the block because the pistons are already large for a four banger. It will also be balanced and blue printed. I figured i could buy aftermarket domed pistons for more compression and have someone mount a turbo for me. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have just one... you dont want to raise compression and put a turbo on the motor at the same time, as you will blow up the engine (pistons with holes are not pretty, neither are burned valves). Most turbo motors in fact have a lower compression ration, then a normally asperated engine. I would go with the stock compression ratio, but do get pistons with a longer skirt to avoid the dreaded subaru piston slap. Also subarus tend not to like lightened flywheels as they are pretty light to begin with.

nipper

find a good book on turbocharging. a buddy permanently borrowed one i had called ... hell, i cant remember what its called its been so long, but its written by corky bell, iirc. shouldnt be too hard to find on amazon. turbo cars can be fickle sometimes compared to your typical carbed rustang, so knowing all the ins and outs alleviates a lot of stress and confusion.