Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Redline Transmission Oil

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 25 September 2003 - 04:07 PM

Okay, so today I drained Mobil 1 75W90 out of my gearbox and replaced it with Redline 75W90NS. (There has been a debate as to whether synthetic oil is good for Sube transmissions at all, under the thread name "Rear diff oil")

Having only done about 6 miles with the new oil, I can't make any final conclusions but there is a slightly more soft/damped sensation to the way the gearstick slots home. Also, the whirring noise I had on the overrun in third has dissappeared, which speaks highly for the film strength of Redline.

The difference in shiftability is only slight, at this stage, but I expect that anyone making the change from a mineral oil to synthetic would be very impressed by Redline NS.

I have been through Castrol and Mobil, both mineral and synthetic, so I reckon I have experience enough to make a fair judgement.

Pianodirt, I would recommend forking out the extra money for Redline. You won't be disappointed.

Sprintman, my gearbox has 185K miles on it, so age shouldn't be important.

:burnout:

#2 sprintman

sprintman

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canberra Australia

Posted 25 September 2003 - 07:19 PM

Cobb Tuning only recommend one oil for any Subaru, trans, diff etc. Redline. Mainly a Group V basestock (PE) and a high quality additive package. If you think its expensive in NA it's double that here (Oz). Pays for itself in time though with reduced fuel consumption (up to 6%). And where did this syn oil isnt good for Subes come from? My Sube dealer offers syn for regular servicing and I checked with Subaru Australia who said "it all helps". "Just dont change from factory fill until 12,500kms at least".

#3 Setright

Setright

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 25 September 2003 - 10:28 PM

Don't look at me, I didn't start the anti-syn movement :D

#4 sprintman

sprintman

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canberra Australia

Posted 25 September 2003 - 10:30 PM

Agreed

#5 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 26 September 2003 - 06:47 AM

GL wagon, D/R4WD 5spd. Has always had a 'notchy' shifter (hasn't gotten any worse in 75,000 miles. Not hard to shift, just can feel it (maybe just needs linkage adjust?). No tranny or differential leaks or noises. If it even MIGHT smooth out the shifting it would be worth it. Now, the engine I'm disinclined with 205,000 miles unopened.

#6 Setright

Setright

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 26 September 2003 - 11:11 AM

If your handbook recommends GL5, then I would say yes! It's not quite a new-gearbox-in-bottle or anything, but it will certainly improve the shift.

Bear in mind that Subarus have always had a notchy 2nd to 3rd shift.

Not savvy on the older Subes: Do you have direct rod link to the 'box? Cables tend to mask notchiness, while a rod allows you to feel every synchro tooth mesh into the cogs, just the way I like it :D

#7 Subie Gal

Subie Gal

GC84Ever

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • WA

Posted 26 September 2003 - 12:15 PM

I run Redline SuperHeavyweight Shockproof in my gearbox and diff...

absolutely love the stuff.
nobody's gonna convince me to swap to anything else.

Redline all the way.

jamie

#8 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 26 September 2003 - 12:22 PM

I checked my OM and it does take GL5, it looks like one gallon will do both the tranny and the diffy. I'll do it this weekend. Prolly needs changing anyhow, it's been about 50K.

#9 Setright

Setright

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 27 September 2003 - 02:45 AM

A gallon should see you through. The capacity listed in the manual is for a dry gearbox. Since it is impossible to drain all the old out, I only fill 3.2 litres in my 3.5 litre 'box - and it always hits the full mark spot on!
(I use the excess to "flush" the box before filling.)

SubieGal, have you tried NS? Can you "compare and contrast" NS and Shockproof?

Shift speed, cold performance, that sort of thing..

#10 CROSSTBOLT

CROSSTBOLT

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Tennessee

Posted 27 September 2003 - 06:10 AM

Subie Gal & gang: Where did you get this redline stuff? Y'all 'bout got me convinced!

#11 Setright

Setright

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 27 September 2003 - 10:06 AM

Quick crossbolt, join the club!

www.redlineoil.com

#12 sprintman

sprintman

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canberra Australia

Posted 28 September 2003 - 02:10 AM

Remember it's two different oils for trans and diff. Do not use 75W90NS in the diff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users