Ultimate Subaru Message Board

problem with my pugs

PeterD

so i picked up 4 14in pugs today and well i have a little problem. LesSwab said they can dismount and moutn tires. but i have three that have that funny center on them. that dome with the square hole in the top. they cant ballance them...

what shold i do.... or is it best to search for 3 of the other kind.

what...i only took 4

here is what im talking about... how do you go about ballancing the on es on the left. :confused:

pugs.jpg

seriously thought... i went to 3 pugs to find these... ever one had one wheel missing or they were bad..

1) remove old tires from pugs.

2) mount pugs in a vise.

3) mark and cut

or

a machine/weld shop will cut them to match.

so, so, so simple.

for a machine shop to cut the wheels out i could buy 4 sets of these. they need to be perfectly round... surei could use a plasma cutter or something likethat.. but when the tire shop goes to ballance them he cant becuase its not a flat serface.

whats the best way to go around getting these modifid... withought paying a machinest to do it.

mount them up and go wheelin , offroad it will not matter,

call around to some of the old garage/gas stations I have a old tire machine that came with a balancer that you set the tire on and add weight untill the center bubble thing was centered , some body got to be able to do them , maybe a old car club would be a resourse, if it was me I would mount them up and go for a drive , might not be bad also some places can do a spin balance on the car

mount them up and go wheelin , offroad it will not matter,

call around to some of the old garage/gas stations I have a old tire machine that came with a balancer that you set the tire on and add weight untill the center bubble thing was centered , some body got to be able to do them , maybe a old car club would be a resourse, if it was me I would mount them up and go for a drive , might not be bad also some places can do a spin balance on the car

well they would work great for wheelin...but the car has to be streetable.

there are a few more good places i can check for wheels.. any one know of a good place on the west side... i'll be over there next weekend hopfully. :)

honestly,

you could fix your problem in your driveway w/ a magic marker and a hacksaw.

if you are not motivated to do a simple task like this yourself, a shop w/ a torch would cut those to match for just a few bucks each. cheap. research.

do not try to make this harder than it is.

Use a bubble balancer. I used one a couple of weeks ago when I replaced 2 tires, and it balanced out pretty good. Only really starts to shake above 70 mph., but its really rare that I drive above 55-60. Try a bubble balancer or have the centers cut out.

we could meet some time that would be cool :)

im also exporing some ideas for when i get back to my dads place this weekend. Im not saying its impossible.. i just want it well enough so i can get them ballanced. im not equiped with the correct tools over here.

i cant remember how big my dads drill press is... but if its big enough im thinking hole saw.. type bit.

FXTHS60.JPG

if the drill press is big enough.. and its large. i could center ths and drop it right on the wheel...use some cutting oil.. my friend and i did some cutting last summer with this type of bit and it was slow but it gave nice perfect holes

yea im also gonig to check a few of thoes tire places off sprage i totaly forgot about that.

actually, now that i think about it....there was one more of those out there.....and i might have an extra.but you should go to the places on sparague first,they have old skool machines that should have an attachment for them.

509-991-8048,give me a buzz this week.i might have some time for ya........brian

i have a bubble balncer that will work, i live in Covington, WA. just a few mins from renton, i could balance them for you

alright. i wonn't have tires on them by the time i come home... at some point i will want to add a lift to make the 14s more practical... i fit one of them on a suby at the junk yard and they are quite bit larger... or could i get away with not lifting the wagon?

alright. i wonn't have tires on them by the time i come home... at some point i will want to add a lift to make the 14s more practical... i fit one of them on a suby at the junk yard and they are quite bit larger... or could i get away with not lifting the wagon?

the wheels are only 1" wider in diameter, that means .5" all around....at the wheel. the rest depends on the tire, I had some relatively lo-pro tires that came from baccaruda on the 15" pugs that we both ran on unlifted wagons, now I have bigger tires, that rub on my 4" lift...it's all in what size tire you get. tires for 14" wheels that will easily fit on your unlifted suby are definatley out there.

one thing to be concerned about, I'm not sure if this goes for all pugs, or maybe mine are a bit wider...but the offset difference means that the tires can't tuck up into the fender well, they just hit the fender. so don't get ones that are too big, I hacked up 2 of the tires I was using when I tried to haul a big load home from school with 'em on there.