Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

moaning sound 90 legacy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 25 September 2003 - 04:56 PM

the legacy ft4wd auto 2.2 makes an awful moaning noise 25-60mph. it is most prominent while deceleration.

i aired up the back tires, being a little squatty. drove the car and the noise went away. drove the car again and it came back. josh says the noise goes away in neutral.

the noise sounds like it is coming from the middle to the rear. i checked out the brakes and the wheel play, everything was tight, so its not a bearing issue.

is the center diff open or lsd? and would the noise be diff related if it were lsd?

either that or it has to do with the driveshaft. i want to get under the car, but i need to find another jackstand!

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 25 September 2003 - 05:02 PM

are all 4 tires the same size/wear? that sound brings to mind slight binding of center diff

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 25 September 2003 - 05:07 PM

thenoise came back after the tires were aired up. the car had sat for a few months. but it has always made the noise since we fixed the front tranny seal.

so how exactly is the center diff in these models? the noise will come and go, going usually if the car is being driven more.

of course the center diff is working, because it can pull some mean donuts!!!

#4 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 25 September 2003 - 05:09 PM

Is there a woman in the trunk?

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 25 September 2003 - 05:11 PM

i wish..its been a little while:banana:

i just read the svx thread, so i will try the awd disable fuse and see if that does anything?

#6 1ABAJA

1ABAJA

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • Soobville, IN

Posted 26 September 2003 - 02:24 PM

Keep your women out of my Legacy...I don't want my car being intiated by the Miles Fox Fan Club!
Josh!

#7 reoff

reoff

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Bellingham, WA

Posted 26 September 2003 - 08:57 PM

The "center diff" is either a viscous coupling (5spd) or a very complicated computer controlled hydraulic clutch system(a/t) that almost completely disengages the awd unless you are accelerating or slipping.

#8 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 30 September 2003 - 10:11 AM

yes, its an auto. if i remove the driveshaft, leave the fuse in, and the car continues to make this noise, what should i make of it.
everything works like its supposed to, but just noisy!

#9 reoff

reoff

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Bellingham, WA

Posted 30 September 2003 - 06:22 PM

I'd say that if you still have the noise with the FWD fuse and no rear driveline... then you probably have fallen victim to the "non filtered" older legacy transmission. Probably want to either rebuild it or replace it. I wish i knew more about them. Just that they weren't all that good before '93(i think that was the year).

Just drive it until it dies. :)

Rich

#10 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 02 October 2003 - 03:46 PM

well, we can live with it as long as it still works, which it does well. josh may sell the car to robert, but it would be nice to find a 5 spd!
i wouldnt mind an ej22 in the trashwagon myself!
thanx for the info, it eliminated a lot of possibilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users