Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New here, a few Q's

Hello, umm, I'll introduce myself, I'm John, and I am getting a Gen 1 Brat in the in a few days. It was advertised as an '82 but reading through all the wonderful info on this site, weren't the square headlight style Brats introduced in 82? This one is definately an earlier model brat with the round headlights. I'll try and get some pictures over the next few days when I get it home. Its identical to the one in 75subie's thread and has only done 64000km.

And a question or two, what sorta cruising speeds can they manage? This is the 1800 4 speed dual range one(are there any others?).

And I don't plan any major modifications, maybe just a stereo etc. But was wondering as it is tricky to get a limited slip diff, is it possible to easily put individual controls on the breaks, to stop certain wheels from spinning?

Just thought it might be a cheaper, and slightly more fun alternative to the lsd.

Hope this hasn't already been covered and I make sence.

No doubt you will all be hearing from me a little more often from now on.

Brats of this era don't seem to be very common where I live so I think i've got a bargin.

JohnB

yes, your`s sounds like a gen 1 brat.if it has the 1800 with dual range that would make it an 80 or 81 GL.it could also have a ea71 (1600) with single range 4wd (most common) the engine # is printed on the front of the block i believe.

if its an 1800, cruising at 70mph is no problem, you could go faster, but its kind of pushing it, for a 1600, 65-70mph is also fine.

put a weber carb on it, and make it a screamer (as people tell me).take care,

Jon

ps. please post pix, i would like to see it.

Congrats on your find.

Welcome to the good ship USMB.

As for your drug problem (LSD)

The parking brake is on the front wheels, just a FYI

the rear diff may be swappable for a limited slip unit from an L series car (GL-10's ect.)

but was never offered AFAIK on the early Brats.

Great little vehicles, I do mean little by today's standards.

Tons of fun and miles of smiles to ya

i have a 79 wagon with that same setup. 1800 dualrange it came from a 81 gl brat. anyway the only mod it has is a 2.25in exhaust.... i have no problems running faster then the car feals safe at.... i ususaly run it around 75-80 (kinda schetch if not on the freeway.) but ive had it to 95 several times on flat ground,,,.... anyway congrats on your find with that kind of milage it should be mint if it was kept indoors.

ok, well I got it home, didn't miss a beat for the whole 1300km trip, just needed a slight retarding of the timing while we waited for the ferry.

Only a few things the matter with it, this morning after the the whole trip, the clutch cable came loose by the pedals, in the middle of town, had to start in gear and turn the motor off to change direction, good lesson though i guess.

Seems to chew through gas a bit, might just need a tune up. Umm

The heater seems to be always on hot. And there is wiring for a radio, but its not there.

Any comments appretiated, and how should I put pictures on here?

Very nice. Where did you manage to find that?

Down your way actually, It was just out of Queenstown/Arrowtown. Got lost in Christchurch, SH1 dissappeared on us.

Oh yea and I found a wreckers with a slightly older gen 2 brat with some of those 6 spoke white wheels, Would they be wider than the ones on here already?

I also found this morning that the clutch cable hadn't come loose, the coller on the pedal end had broken off, hence no clutch. A pair of vice grips works just the same untill I can put in the cable off the wrecked gen 2.

Also, is $180nz a good deal on a set of 5 of those wheels? I might just try buy the whole thing, has a decent looking engine and gearbox, and grey leather seats.:cool: