Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Remove Rear Differential- How?

We just pulled the Fuel Tank out of my 90 Legacy. Now I need to put the rear end back together just enough to move the car. I want to remove the rear diff to make it easier ( lighter) also the driveline was snapped in half so i took that out of the picture. So I have the differential unbolted but I dont know how to remove the Axles. Can someone tell me how? Thanks

From what i see in my manual, the rear axles keep the rear wheels on the car (i guess thats one way to ilghten the car). If its an early 90's model there is spring pin that comes out then you pry them off the differntial. In newer you just pry them off. If you have the differntial hanging you need to re bolt it to the car for leverage. In all honesty its more trouble then its worth since the axles keep the wheels on the car, and your not going to loose all that much weight to make it worth it. You would till have to take apart the axles to give you a stub to mount the wheels too, or cut them.

nipper

are you sure that is all true? i currently have an XT6 that i removed the rear differential, drive shaft and axles from because the diff went bad and i'll replace it later. maybe the legacy is different, but in the EA82 cars and the XT6 you can do it. the axle nut/stub is not needed to mount the wheels. the wheels mount to the hub which is held in place by the entire rear assembly/member. i don't know that the axle's support much, i believe most of their function is to just transfer power from diff to hub and fling grease on your underside when the boot breaks! my XT6 runs fine.

if it's an automatic you'll need to keep the front half of the driveshaft in place otherwise transmission fluid will dump out all over the ground. the splined shaft of the driveshaft (the center bearing support, front half of the drive shaft) also seals the rear output seal. the rear half of the driveshaft can be removed, unbolted. manual trans driveshafts can be unbolted. also for an automatic you'll have to splice into the duty solenoid C or put in the FWD fuse to run in FWD mode. in the manual trans you'll have to lock the center diff. otherwise the rear output shaft will spin and do nothing and your front wheels will not do anything.

very small weight savings, doubt you could shave more than 75 pounds, not enough to make a noticeable difference. if you did a ton of city driving with heavy foot and brake action then maybe, but for highway miles it won't mean a thing. i load a few hundred pounds in my soobs and for highway miles it does nothing because once you're up to speed i'm guessing the amount of gas to sustain that highway speed is nearly identical regardless of weight. alot of accelerating would likely be hurt more by weight i'm guessing.

To make it more clear. This car will never run again. I need only the tires on there. I have the whole rear crossmember dropped. I have the Differential and the axles lying on the ground. About two days after my duaghter was born the U-Joint on this car broke and the driveline fell on the ground and proceeded to snap. The transmission case is cracked severely and is FUBAR. Alll I need is the back wheel which it seems that I should be able to disconnect those axles. Then I can lift it in there and bolt it up to move the car to the Junk Yard. aka my Yard. So I know have the back plate of the diff removed. Do I have to cut out those axles?

are you sure that is all true? i currently have an XT6 that i removed the rear differential, drive shaft and axles from because the diff went bad and i'll replace it later. maybe the legacy is different, but in the EA82 cars and the XT6 you can do it. the axle nut/stub is not needed to mount the wheels. the wheels mount to the hub which is held in place by the entire rear assembly/member. i don't know that the axle's support much, i believe most of their function is to just transfer power from diff to hub and fling grease on your underside when the boot breaks! my XT6 runs fine.

My fault, it does mount to the flange and the flange holds the rear wheels on (brainfart).

nipper

To make it more clear. This car will never run again. I need only the tires on there. I have the whole rear crossmember dropped. I have the Differential and the axles lying on the ground. About two days after my duaghter was born the U-Joint on this car broke and the driveline fell on the ground and proceeded to snap. The transmission case is cracked severely and is FUBAR. Alll I need is the back wheel which it seems that I should be able to disconnect those axles. Then I can lift it in there and bolt it up to move the car to the Junk Yard. aka my Yard. So I know have the back plate of the diff removed. Do I have to cut out those axles?

Well since the car is going to be planter, and doesnt even have to move that far, there are either two spring pins, then the axles pry out, or if you dont see the two spring pins, they just pry out anyway. If there are spring pins , just drive them out with a drift, and it should all come apart.

I hope no one was hurt ..

Congrats on the duaghter.

nipper

No one was hurt. Although new babies and broken cars = stress. Thanks to USMB I got cars running and all is well. (Mostly) I did find the Pins and kncked them out. There are also bolts on the Hub itself that need to be removed. Huge Bolts I might add ( Breaker Bar very handy) So now I will be slapping it back together and moving forward. Thanks for the Help. I do think this car would run fine without the rear diff and transaxles BTW. It seems that the HUBS are simply attached to the rear suspension. I imagine Josh ( Legacy777 ) will know the full truth about that conversion.