Ultimate Subaru Message Board

got another sube!

Just acquired an '88 2dr 4wd justy GL for $350 CDN (talked down from $500 :brow: ) to replace my VW as a DD. I calculated that at 45mpg I would save $20 a week on gas going to school and that the car would pay for itself within 7-8 months.

The owner was a mechanic too lazy to work on his own s***, and figured it had a blown head gasket. "All the classic symptoms" I think he said. It ran fine but puked coolant and would overheat, so I started to drive it home, pulling over occasionally (these little motors warm up and cool down fast!)

Along the way I decided to pull out the t-stat to help it cool better cause it was getting tiring pulling over all the time. Turns out that the problem was just the t-stat stuck closed!

The HG is fine and the car has reasonable pick-up surprisingly. Only 150k KM (the pedals arent even worn, the interior is mint) The paint is faded but no rust. I have dreams of turbocharging this thing and making a beast out of it but its just not realistic, I'm doing my 1st year of ME, and already have other projects like the lifted wagon and the MGB GT that I need to either finish or get rid of. Gas mileage and reliability is most important right now.

I dont know what you guys are talking about carbed justys being slow. While its no screamer it certainly gets out of its own way and has power to pass. Its faster than my dads '85 honda, but slower than my scirocco.

That's Awesome!!! I wish I could find a Justy that wasn't in pieces or destroyed. Back in Texas, that was the only way I found them. And over here in Okinawa, the only thing that we have that is anywhere close is the Subaru Vivio. It looks like a modern version of the Justy. If I saw the right car, I think that there are even turbocharged Vivios running around the island. I'll have to pay closer attention next time I see one. Anyways, Congratulations on the new ride!!!

Patrick

It wasnt subaru... it was Suzuki. The engine in the Justy isnt really a FHI design.

-Brian

Do you have anything to back that up with? From what I see in the yards, the justy's 1.2l 9 valve 3cyl is completely different than the suzuki 1.0 found in sprints/metros/fireflys.

Basher...Good luck with your new Justy!! I too have an 88 4WD carbed Justy with a 5speed. (I have posted pics of it in the USMB gallery) I also just got done rebuilding a 1990 5dr 4WD Justy with Fuel Injection and an ECVT trans. Having owned and worked on many Justys over the last 6 years. I can give you some facts you can take to the bank.

The 1189cc (1.2) 3cyl in your Justy is a true Subie engine! The association with Suzuki started with the 1996 model year when the Justy went to a 3rd generation body style. The 96 and newer Justys "are" rebadged Suzukis. The Justy was sold in the US from 1987-1994 and I think Canada got the 1995 model but, after 95 the little car was gone from North America.

Your 1189cc motor is ABSOLUTLY, POSITIVELY NON Interference. I broke my T-Belt 2 weeks after I bought my 88 Justy back in 1999 and all I did was roll the cam and crank to line up the marks, slip on a new belt and I was rollin in an hour and a half!

If you are really into Justys check out http://subarujusty.proboards20.com

This board is exclusive to Justys and can give you some good info if needed. Justys really are totally different from anything Subaru has built before or since.

My next project is to put a Fuel Injected 1189 into my 88 Justy and like you, I'd like to turbo it.....It has been done successfully a couple times before. (Hey, Do it Sideways are you out there????)

Well, Good luck with your car and keep us posted!

Jim