Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, I'm looking at snow tires for the '05. I run Bridgestone Winterfire Studs on the '95 for 4 years and have had a great experience, but Bridgestone only makes the Blizzaks now, it seems. I hear the Blizzack WS-50s are great tires in snow but can be dangerous in emergency manuvers in dry conditions. I've been looking at the new studless Blizzack REVO 1, it tests better than the WS-50s in snow/ice but I haven't found any all around tests. Anyone have any info on these? The next tire I'm eyeing is a studded tire, the Nokian Hakki 2, which looks like it would totally rip but I can't find any tests. Basically I want the tire that does everything perfectly, but they don't make that, but SOMEWHERE there must be a good all-condition test of current stud/studless snow tires. Anyone care to point me in the right direction, offer opinions, or give me some insight into new-technology snow tires?

I run cheapy snows on my car, but the gf who doesn't want any problems runs the Nokian RSi. Awesome! However, they come at a price. I don't have any reviews, but perhaps a tire worth looking for reviews of :) She ran Blizzaks for one winter, but after getting a new car got a new set of snows and decided to go with with Nokians. My father runs the Blizzaks on his car, and they are great. Our only complaint is the treadlife, others do better than Blizzaks (IMO).

-Heikki

i used to work for bridgestone firestone and the WS-50s are well worth it...the treadlfe leaves something to be desired but the performance in snow is exceptional. by no means do i want to do free advertising for BFS but people were lining up in june to special order these things. worth looking into, but shop around. local bridgestone firestone dealers most of the time have a lot better prices than the typical store you would find around your mall. hope this helps.

blizzys are fine for ice driving but they suffer in deep snow they also ware fast....

i would go with the Nokian RSi, i ran nokian's on my cars. ive gotten 35,000 miles out of a set with alot of 80+ driving on pavment. ive also never found a better tire in deep snow (under 12in) i pulled off the highway in my wifes nissan sentra with 3in of old snow and 8in of new stuff the car came right out... they were also stable at 85+ on snowpack,,,,,,,

blizzacks do hold a little better on pure ice but they arnt as good at mix siutations and slush driving pulse they will never hold up to fast pavment driving or agressive driving on mixed snow and gravil... i know i rally with my buddy that will only run bizzys and he tears them up every season. while mine last and i drive just as hard as him,,,,

anyway at least check out the

Nokian RSi

The Tire Rack just did a test of the Revo 1, WS-50, X-Ice and Graspic DS-2. The Revo 1 took first place with the WS-50 and X-Ice following closely behind. The Graspic showed well, but was definitely in last place.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_blizzak_revo1.jsp

We run the WS-50 on our Forester, and it works very well. The compromise in dry handling is more than offset by the ice and snow traction. People freak out about the soft dry handling, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as the anti-Blizzak crowd make out. Sure, it's not a Z-rated performance tire, but you know that going in. Winter driving means no auto crossing!

I have a set of the new Revo 1's for my Mercedes this winter, so I can't report on them yet (of course) but as winter progresses (mornings are below zero now...) I'll update...

I run Nokian Hakkapeliita Qs. They were the ice-biased Nokian and they are exceptional. I would personally not buy Blizzaks. The conditions here (mostly wet or dry pavement punctuated by black ice, freezing rain, and light snow) tear them to shreds in about 2 seasons, but the super-soft compound that gives you that nice ice grip is completely gone before the end of the first season. No thanks. I want a tire that is consistent throughout its life. $0.02

Nokians are available in Idaho from Bruneel tire. That means you'd have to drive down to Moscow if you want them to put them on for you.

I use Nokian RSi on my wife's FWD Saab, and Nokian WR all-seasons on my Subaru. The RSi's were amazing in all winter conditions, and are quiet on dry pavement. Treadlife - who knows? My wife & I only do ~6500ka year on each of our cars.

http://www.snowtire.info is a website that rates some snow tires. If you're going studless, spend the money on the RSi's, you will NOT be disappointed. The WR's are hands down the best all-seasons I've ever encountered for snow and ice traction.

Had a flat this morning, so now I'm shopping around for some new all season tires. I've been reading some excellent reviews on the hydroedge and it seem users also love the nokians. Here's a stupid question, if I chose to buy the hydroedge, does this mean I also need to buy new wheel rims? I'm driving an '03 outback sedan, and it seems the hydroedge aren't the same size as the originals.

I'm about to hit 50K on my Nokian WRs. Still sufficient tread left and even last winter they did well in the little snow we had here. For Seattle conditions the all season WRs are outstanding. Regarding the comment about the testing giving the Nokian the lowest rating; that may be true when the tires are brand new....I read that in one of the posts on the Nokian website a few years ago. The difference becomes glaring after 20% of the tread is worn off; the Nokians performed just about the same as when new, the other tires dropped off significantly. I would expect decent snow tires from a country that has snow on the ground 6 months of the year. Back in the day when I was active in rallying, the tire of choice for winter events was the Hakkipollitta (bought out by Nokia since then). Since they were not DOT approved the only way to get them in the USA was through a rally competition place in Michigan who got them from a tire place in upper NY state who brought them over from Canada. They were sold as "for competition use only" and you can bet we paid dearly for them after going through multiple sales.

Had a flat this morning, so now I'm shopping around for some new all season tires. I've been reading some excellent reviews on the hydroedge and it seem users also love the nokians. Here's a stupid question, if I chose to buy the hydroedge, does this mean I also need to buy new wheel rims? I'm driving an '03 outback sedan, and it seems the hydroedge aren't the same size as the originals.

huh??

where's the logic?

it makes sense to me to think that cops would buy the best of the best to have the upper hand on criminals and speeders. The vast mijorityof cops use Goodyear RS-A Pluses as all seasons and Goodyear Ultra Grip Ices for snows.

Pricey but incredible.

Not sure how your local constabulary works, but in our neck-o-the-woods, they simply put the tire contract out to tender and the least expensive bid that meets the minimum basic requirements wins.

Back in the day when I was active in rallying, the tire of choice for winter events was the Hakkipollitta (bought out by Nokia since then). Since they were not DOT approved the only way to get them in the USA was through a rally competition place in Michigan who got them from a tire place in upper NY state who brought them over from Canada. They were sold as "for competition use only" and you can bet we paid dearly for them after going through multiple sales.

Boy-oh-boy does that bring back memories. That was the day, when my father was competing and I was working crew in Pro Rallys across the mideast. Yes, Hakkas were the king. Good to hear that they have not lost their quality.

mikkl

I drive mostly on dry pavement, year-round, on my 200-mile commute to O'Hare five times a month. The south-west shore of Lake Michigan can be fierce in the winter. I occasionally hit wicked blizzards, life threatening whiteouts, wet slush, and glare ice, with little warning. I can't justify dedicated winter tires. I expect the heavy mileage on dry pavement would reduce their effectiveness in the snow, and I'm reluctant to give up dry performance.

On Tire Rack I sorted the 34 possible all-weather tires, and found the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred has the best snow rating based on customer surveys. It looks good, lots of siping and soft compound, heavy water channels. It should wear well and be in good shape when I hit unexpected weather.

My other possibility is the Nokian RW or NRW, both look excellent for snow, lots of siping and decent water channels. I don't know much about their wear or noise, or problems. I can't find much info on the NRW, I suspect it's new? It looks noisy, but it's amazing what technology can do.

huh??

where's the logic?

Haha, I didn't realize the hydroedge's came in the 225/60-16 size when I was browsing tirerack.com. After searching further on other sites, I realized they do, so scratch my earlier dumb question about the wheels.

The outback will be getting a new set of greendiamonds this year. I have been wanting to try them and I have decided to finally do it.

http://greendiamondtire.com/

The XJ will be running on the same cheap Akuret studded snows, they aren't great but they sure beat all-seasons and they were very cheap. The Jetta will be getting parked for the winter in a month or so.

The Green Diamonds are retreads aren't they? I suppose they remark the sidewalls so the tires all look the same.

Anyway, that wasn't the point. Has anyone ever used these tires, or seen a comparison between these tires and studded snow tires like the Hakka 2's?