Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 BRAT WRX with EJ20T

rguyver

478100_0224-med.JPG478100_0515-med.JPGThis is my current project and the specs are in the EA to EJ roll call thred

i havent posted the progress since beacuse i know how some people are when a project like this goes wrong :brow: itRUNS and i just have to work out some small details to go for the test launch :grin: it will be getting a new paint job and 17inch rims newer racing seats and 4piont harness with a roll bar all to come this winter ,

It fits like it was desined to go in , no cutting involved only a little frame massage on the drivers side so the valve cover had clearence , and a custom tranny mount , it actualy has more room at the firewall then the 2002 WRX for some reason , i have the 1984 turbo engine saddle so the up pipe just needed some heat sheald hammering , the wiring was the bigest job , i only have the engine management part of the harness left lots of cutting and soddering wires :-\ and days going through the Subaru shop wiring book rechecking wires :banghead: its hard to estamate the harness because the nessary engine harness runs all through the car all the way to the back , its well intergrated in to the rest of the car not like i first hoped :confused: its not as simple as just reading the wiring diograms they dont tell you all you need to know .

I wish someone would write down something as far as the wiring goes.I would like to have something to be able to look at when doing wiring as I am sure others would appreciate that as well.Could someone come up with a helper guide so others don't have to keep checking everything that they prob don't need. I think I may want to do a swap like this some day.....Anyone got some ideas for getting a book/wiring help guide for subes besides the shop manuals....They can be very vague.Just an idea.

its nice to see another BC BRAT!!!

especially one so awesome!!! that brings my brat count to 5 (that i've actually seen... many more through the grapevine...)

so your using the whole wrx drivetrain??? (i'm assuming because of the 5 bolt wheels...)

ohhhh this so makes me want to go get all that stuff for my car...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44295

we'll both have sweet modded brats to the max if i actually do this... heh...

well the brat was a 83 carbed that started out 7years ago when i got it had 250 000 mi on it from California with a 4speed high low , first mods were bigger carb + intake recurve the dist. that was fun for a fue years then came the campleat EA81t with wiring out of a 84 turbo wagon and an 87RX AWD 5speed that was fast , so then came the XT6 brake and hub swap to stop it now i got a hold of a wrecked 2002 wrx wagon and swaped the motor, tranny , rear diff , engine wiring +ECU, power stering rack for the quicker ratio , and fuel pump , the custom parts are the front cvaxels, rad., tranny mounts front sway bar ,air intake and down pipe exhost and back , im a welder / fab. at a big steel shop so building the rad and axels was not hard ,

MORE PICS TO COME WHEN I GET TIME :grin:

ya im the one that did the EA81 SPFI swap with turbo on my hatch ( sadly the hach has gone ware all old SUBARUS go ..... sold to some one else for parts after i wore every thing out :lol: ) i was on the old message board mostly but i look in from time to time ,

i used the XT6 hubs and axel ends on the front and had to cut and shorten them to fit the narower car also built custom strut pockets to work with the 2 bolt style nuckle and socket type strut the rear is as easy as a rear disc swap , with XT6 swaybar shortened to fit , the WRX tranny axel splines are the same as all 1986 and newer turbo axels and XT6 . there is a lot of small things had to be fabed up , drilled bigger or taken from some other year or type of subaru to make all of this work well :confused: ,

wait the xt6 sway bar had to be shortened?

so you cut and rewelded it?

i always assumed those where heat treated or something

and guessed the heat from rewelding one unless it was retreated would create weak spots or something

<----curiously confused as usuall :)