Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New here with 1992 Legacy suspension questions!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ilovemountains

ilovemountains

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:24 PM

Hi, I have a 1992 Legacy 4x4 wagon that has the air lift suspension. I drive about 100 miles a day and really want to upgrade the struts and possibly the springs. The car has just over 100k on the clock but the suspension is just way too soft for me. I would love to install some Bilstien HDs all the way around but I don’t think they sell them for these! What do I need to purchase to totally remove the air ride suspension and go back to a basic coil spring/ shock combo strut? I would like to get the parts ordered this week so I can try to firm up the ride ASAP! Thanks a million, Matt

#2 jamal

jamal

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:07 AM

I'm not really familiar with the process, but I'm pretty sure you can just take the old parts out, and throw in new struts, springs, and tops. You'll need the strut tops, upper spring perches, rubber isolator dealies, and struts and springs. Then you can just take out or disconnect the compressor or whatever. If the air suspension still works, you could probably sell the parts in the marketplace here or at legacycentral.

A good aftermarket suspension for a Legacy seems to be something like KYB GR2 struts (check tirerack or the shock warehouse) and some Whiteline control springs (pdm racing has them). They're matched well and have wagon-specific applications, and aren't a huge drop or increase in stiffness over stock. If you want to get really fancy, you could pick up some Group N strut tops, too (I recommend oakos if they have them in stock). Perches and stuff you could probably get at 1stsubaruparts, or used off someone who doesn't need them. You could also get some AGX struts, which are adjustable and can handle a stiffer spring.

Here's the suspension compendium at legacycentral. As you might notice, BFs have pretty stiff rear springs. If you go with a sedan spring, it will sag in the rear and ride/handle poorly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users