Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New here with 1992 Legacy suspension questions!

Hi, I have a 1992 Legacy 4x4 wagon that has the air lift suspension. I drive about 100 miles a day and really want to upgrade the struts and possibly the springs. The car has just over 100k on the clock but the suspension is just way too soft for me. I would love to install some Bilstien HDs all the way around but I don’t think they sell them for these! What do I need to purchase to totally remove the air ride suspension and go back to a basic coil spring/ shock combo strut? I would like to get the parts ordered this week so I can try to firm up the ride ASAP! Thanks a million, Matt

I'm not really familiar with the process, but I'm pretty sure you can just take the old parts out, and throw in new struts, springs, and tops. You'll need the strut tops, upper spring perches, rubber isolator dealies, and struts and springs. Then you can just take out or disconnect the compressor or whatever. If the air suspension still works, you could probably sell the parts in the marketplace here or at legacycentral.

A good aftermarket suspension for a Legacy seems to be something like KYB GR2 struts (check tirerack or the shock warehouse) and some Whiteline control springs (pdm racing has them). They're matched well and have wagon-specific applications, and aren't a huge drop or increase in stiffness over stock. If you want to get really fancy, you could pick up some Group N strut tops, too (I recommend oakos if they have them in stock). Perches and stuff you could probably get at 1stsubaruparts, or used off someone who doesn't need them. You could also get some AGX struts, which are adjustable and can handle a stiffer spring.

Here's the suspension compendium at legacycentral. As you might notice, BFs have pretty stiff rear springs. If you go with a sedan spring, it will sag in the rear and ride/handle poorly.