Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Off to Australia for me?

Well, in a few months I MIGHT sell 98% of my possesions and begin the process of moving to Australia. Might is the key word here. I'm browsing eBay Australia and I've got a towel handy for drool spills. Oh man, Oz got some sweet Subs. Looking at a d/r 1991 Loyale equivalant right now, although I'd probably end up in an early 80s Leone. If I don't move, an extended holiday is a definate anyway. Rock on mates! Oh yeah, and if any Australians want to post some info on living down under, they will officially be "rad" in my book.

I honestly have no idea what city/area of Australia I will vacation/live in. here's a dumb question: How big is the country? I'm going to get some maps anyway and find out excact distances, but you know, driving 7 miles in New York can take all day. Does it take long to get places usually or is the traffic lighter?

Traffic is a lot lighter, but expect to travel long distances.

Sydney is our largest city, famous for the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge and the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras. I very good place to start, Australia's answer to San Fransico. With several million Vietnamese thrown in.

Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane - our largest cities - are all several thousand kilometers apart, connected by freeways, rail and air networks.

Australia is HUGE, though very sparsely populated.

Our capital is Canberra, an obscure alpine city designed by an eccentric architect with a circle fetish, it is populated by civil servents and bogans (bogans are Australia's answer Trailer Trash).

Work is very easy to come by, but be warned: if you're a tradesman, don't expect to work in your trade without some re-training.

Non-touristy cool places to visit:

Merimbula

Oodnadatta

Beechworth

Weipa

Davonport

Bunburry

If you read ONE book before going to Australia, read In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson; funny, fascinating & gives a great sense of scale for the place. He's my favorite travel writer for a good reason. Go if you can, no matter what the ratio of women is (they're beautiful anyways!)